It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

PhantomTD: Thanks for your inputs, I got an answer with a potential fix today. But they also said my OS is not supported (Beeing Mint instead of Ubuntu). Will post more when I have the time!
gogbaj: I would be grateful if you can share any fix.
Just bought BG I and II enhanced and neither game will run on Fedora 34:

$ sh start.sh
Running Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
./BaldursGate: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ sh start.sh
Running Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
./BaldursGateII: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Hey, sorry for the late reply! Life happens sometimes ;)
I got a fix from Falran in GOG support:

"Please download the older shared library from https://downloads.dotslashplay.it/resources/libssl/
and to put it in the game dir.
Simply put into the folder “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu” the files contained in “ libssl_1.0.0_64-bit.tar.gz ” which would be libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libssl.so.1.0.0"

Hope that helps!
low rated
gaaaawd

humanity is doomed

and rightly so)
osm: gaaaawd

humanity is doomed

and rightly so)
Do you mean the solution is stupid?
PhantomTD: (…)
Don’t worry about that, osm is a basic anti-./play.it troll for some reason I’m not wasting time trying to understand. So they feel furious every time a link to some ./play.it resource is shared, even more so when it is done by GOG support.

The best thing to do is to ignore their posts, you are not going to miss anything of value ;)
low rated
PhantomTD: (…)
vv221: Don’t worry about that, osm is a basic anti-./play.it troll for some reason I’m not wasting time trying to understand. So they feel furious every time a link to some ./play.it resource is shared, even more so when it is done by GOG support.

The best thing to do is to ignore their posts, you are not going to miss anything of value ;)
I'm not "they"
maybe you've got some personality disorder, not me.

do one.

PS for the record - no idea what's this has to do with those stupid script kludges you peddle.
Post edited November 06, 2021 by osm
PhantomTD: Do you mean the solution is stupid?
I for one think that the response from GOG Support is a bad one, for several reasons. First, installing files in /usr/lib outside the package manager is generally a bad idea. Don't do that. Second, installing old files that the distribution deliberately stopped shipping because they were insecure and unmaintained into any shared area is a bad idea. Thus, putting it in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib is wrong. Third, hacking around GOG's incorrect packaging by manually modifying the system is wrong. GOG ought to fix their installer to bundle these libraries and put them where the game will find them on its own, so that the game works "out of the box" after installation.

With all those criticisms out of the way, I will say that obtaining these old, insecure, and unmaintained libraries from a trusted source, and placing them where the game can find them, is the only solution that you as a customer can do on your own. (If you worked for GOG or Beamdog, you might be able to do better, by fixing this properly.) If it were me, I would put those libraries in the game's directory, and use a modified $LD_LIBRARY_PATH just for the game, to tell the dynamic loader where to find the libraries.
PhantomTD: Do you mean the solution is stupid?
advowson: I for one think that the response from GOG Support is a bad one, for several reasons. First, installing files in /usr/lib outside the package manager is generally a bad idea. Don't do that. Second, installing old files that the distribution deliberately stopped shipping because they were insecure and unmaintained into any shared area is a bad idea. Thus, putting it in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib is wrong. Third, hacking around GOG's incorrect packaging by manually modifying the system is wrong. GOG ought to fix their installer to bundle these libraries and put them where the game will find them on its own, so that the game works "out of the box" after installation.

With all those criticisms out of the way, I will say that obtaining these old, insecure, and unmaintained libraries from a trusted source, and placing them where the game can find them, is the only solution that you as a customer can do on your own. (If you worked for GOG or Beamdog, you might be able to do better, by fixing this properly.) If it were me, I would put those libraries in the game's directory, and use a modified $LD_LIBRARY_PATH just for the game, to tell the dynamic loader where to find the libraries.
Thanks for the information! Starting to see how linux works one step at the time!

I guess it is a bad idea yes, I will do a work around when I have the time. But for now the game at least works!
First of all i must admit that i am disappointed as i did not expected GoG to deliver an non-functional product depending on outdated versions of openssl. Using old libraries manually placed in system directories is really bad idea. @advowson pointed that quite accurately. As it's it's the only way of getting BG with legendary polish dubbing i decided to hack instead of demanding return.

The only reasonable choice is to unpack old lib packaged by play.it

After that you only add LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

[bartek@bartek Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition]$ head start.sh
#...
# Initialization
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${CURRENT_DIR}"
#....

Works with Fedora 35
bojleros123: First of all i must admit that i am disappointed as i did not expected GoG to deliver an non-functional product depending on outdated versions of openssl. Using old libraries manually placed in system directories is really bad idea. @advowson pointed that quite accurately. As it's it's the only way of getting BG with legendary polish dubbing i decided to hack instead of demanding return.

The only reasonable choice is to unpack old lib packaged by play.it

After that you only add LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

[bartek@bartek Baldurs Gate II Enhanced Edition]$ head start.sh
#...
# Initialization
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${CURRENT_DIR}"
#....

Works with Fedora 35
Thanks, this still works on Fedora 38.
Same going on here on Fedora as of 2023. This hasn't been fixed and `./start.sh --sysprep` screams that xrandr is missing. As I see it there's no plan for future support of any game that has been ported to Linux without the dev's support so far and I might be better off using Wine.
Irkam: Same going on here on Fedora as of 2023. This hasn't been fixed and `./start.sh --sysprep` screams that xrandr is missing. As I see it there's no plan for future support of any game that has been ported to Linux without the dev's support so far and I might be better off using Wine.
what?
Looks like the most proper, adequate, permanent and succinct solution is to (re-)buy the game on Steam and call it a day.
Velcarion: Looks like the most proper, adequate, permanent and succinct solution is to (re-)buy the game on Steam and call it a day.
bruh