It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Today we invite you to read a guest article by Aimee Hart from the Gayming Magazine, the world’s only LGBTQ video game magazine and the home of queer geek culture.

Hello everyone and Happy Pride!

Pride has a long and important history, one that is celebrated all over the world and even in gaming spaces - something which I had no idea was a thing until I’d become more and more involved within the games industry.

Gaming is for everyone, and for queer and marginalized gamers who are looking for ways to see themselves, it’s a medium that has never been better to delve into. Not only are more LGBTQ+ developers making their way into the games industry, but the same can be said for queer narratives and characters.

With that in mind, this is the perfect time to celebrate Pride by talking about a handful of incredible LGBTQ+ inclusive games that you can find on GOG, and why they have such a massive impact on queer gamers.

Dragon Age: Origins

In Dragon Age: Origins, players take on the role of a noble Grey Warden as they take up arms to fight against The Blight - a terrible period of time where hellish darkspawn corrupt dragons and burst from underground to the surface, killing everyone in their way. With a setting like that, it’s no surprise that Dragon Age: Origins may look like the edgy, gritty, ‘realistic’ fantasy RPG that you would expect back in 2008 when it was released, but it’s also one of the earliest games to include queer sexuality in a way that wasn’t either demonized or sexualized.

Players get the option to romance four main companions: Alistair for women, Morrigan for men, Leliana and Zevran for both men and women. While sexuality and gender were further explored in future Dragon Age games, Origins holds a special place in my heart due to its uncompromising perspective on love - regardless of gender.

Outside of LGBTQ+ romance between the protagonist and their companions, Dragon Age: Origins also features love stories between same-sex NPCs, as well as quests and codex entries that speak of queerness.

While certainly a product of its time, Dragon Age: Origins holds a special place in my heart by being the very first video game that allowed me to be true to my desires.

Stardew Valley

If there’s ever been a game that feels like a warm hug on a cold day, then that game is Stardew Valley. In this game, you play as a young up-and-coming farmer who previously abandoned their office job to live out the rest of their life on their Grandpa’s farm. You start with only the essentials and a lot of work ahead of you, but after that short introduction? That’s where the real fun begins.

Stardew Valley is a farming sim inspired by games like Harvest Moon, and was developed solely by Eric Barone aka ConcernedApe. While there is a ton of farming to do - you are a farmer, after all - the relationships that you can form between the characters you meet in Pelican Town play a huge part in what makes game special. You can romance anyone of the bachelors or bachelorettes with no issue, and whoever you romance will acknowledge your gender and the fact they are in a same-sex relationship. It’s a nice touch.

Stardew Valley is also one of the first farming sims to include same-sex marriage, something which has only just come to similar games like it, such as Rune Factory and Story of Seasons. Whether Barone’s inclusion inspired future games is not known, but considering the rocky portrayal of gay marriage within video games still, it’s undeniable that Stardew Valley’s impact by allowing us to marry the ones we love is significant.

Sword of the Necromancer

If you think the ‘bury your gays’ trope is dumb and it needs to be removed from existence, you’ll probably love Sword of the Necromancer from Grimorio of Games.

In Sword of the Necromancer, you take on the role of Tama - a mercenary and the bodyguard of the High Priestess of Nodam, Koko. Only there is one little problem: Koko was killed during their adventures. However, this isn’t good enough for Tama, and the goal for the player is to delve deep into the dungeons of the Necromancer in order to get the sword that will bring Koko back to life.

As the LGBTQ+ community is rocked by legislation and individuals that look to tear us down, Sword of the Necromancer is an inspiring tale of love, friendship, and how far you’ll go to be with the one you love. It’s a roguelike that, if it doesn’t pull you in with its gameplay, will definitely have its hooks on you thanks to its characters.

Ikenfell

If you’re looking for a game that’s got 1) magic 2) turn-based combat that requires strategy, skill and rhythm and 3) is full of characters who are LGBTQ+... There’s no other game that’s as perfect as Ikenfell, which also excels with its accessibility options, too.

Ikenfell takes place in a magical school where you play as the protagonist, Maritte, who is looking for her sister. Throughout her journey, she meets up with a cast of colourful characters, some of whom are asexual, aromantic, gay, lesbian, and more. In fact, I’m certain there isn’t a single straight character in there - talk about being a game made for us!

Ikenfell draws on a lot from a certain magical series that you may have read about, but isn’t afraid to actually include diversity and inclusion – already making it a much more interesting place for players to spend their time in. Because let’s be honest: who doesn’t love a queer love story?
low rated
Cringe.
low rated
Wishmaster777: Cringe.
This!
low rated
Great games poisoned by the identity of who you want to bang... Seriously, stop this cringe. Games should be enjoyed by the three foundational aspects of: gameplay, graphics, and story (if a story is present); not this political, woke catering propaganda.
Post edited June 14, 2022 by TheCleaner517
low rated
TheCleaner517: the three foundational aspects of: gameplay, graphics, and story (if a story is present).
So audio doesn't play a part then ?. I guest silent games can be good, if one's in to that...
low rated
People, chill out, it's a nice gesture.
low rated
GOG, stop doing this. We're all players, we are your community. Why you're bringing this when it's obvious it'll cause flame, stupid discussions and will divide us. Let games be games, good or bad ones, let's play them and enjoy summer sale without launching forum threads you're going to lock in a few hours...
low rated
Using the word cringe... *shudders*

Anyhow, thanks for this article. Sword of the Necromancer looks like a lot of fun, would definitely have flown under my radar without the article.

Bought.
Post edited June 14, 2022 by NuffCatnip
low rated
Let me grab my popcorn first before this thread goes any further.
low rated
TheCleaner517: the three foundational aspects of: gameplay, graphics, and story (if a story is present).
Trooper1270: So audio doesn't play a part then ?. I guest silent games can be good, if one's in to that...
Lots of classic DOS games from the 80s through early 90s had little to no audio options. Sound wasn't a factor when people purchased the first Wizardry or Ultima releases.
low rated
Trooper1270: So audio doesn't play a part then ?. I guest silent games can be good, if one's in to that...
Sound is implied in gameplay and story... Thought that was easily understood. Guess not.
Post edited June 14, 2022 by TheCleaner517
low rated
TheCleaner517: Sound is implied in gameplay and story... Thought that was easily understood. Guess not.
I guess it all depend on who defined "the three foundational aspects", when the were drafted, and what they were meant to to include. I guess they may not be common knowledge, or at leased not that ease to discover...
low rated
GOG.com: Ikenfell takes place in a magical school where you play as the protagonist, Maritte, who is looking for her sister.
Actually, I believe that character's name is "Marette" (no 'i' in the name).
TheCleaner517: Games should be enjoyed by the three foundational aspects of: gameplay, graphics, and story (if a story is present)
I actually consider music to be more important than story (assuming both are present).

DeadlyRamon: Lots of classic DOS games from the 80s through early 90s had little to no audio options. Sound wasn't a factor when people purchased the first Wizardry or Ultima releases.
Lots of classic games from that era didn't have a story, or had a story that was no more than an excuse plot.

Also, by the time the Ultima series developed its own identity, the games already had music, at least on non-DOS releases (and some of that music is pretty good). This can't be said for Wizardry (though it *can* be said for Bard's Tale).
Post edited June 14, 2022 by dtgreene
low rated
TheCleaner517: Sound is implied in gameplay and story... Thought that was easily understood. Guess not.
I think it was the moment you mentioned "graphics" that sound or audio became an "aspect" in a sense. If left at just gameplay and story, then graphics and sound could possibly be an implied "aspect".

Then again, everything I'm saying could simply be nitpicking and can be safely ignored lol.
low rated
dtgreene: Also, by the time the Ultima series developed its own identity, the games already had music, at least on non-DOS releases (and some of that music is pretty good). This can't be said for Wizardry (though it *can* be said for Bard's Tale).
At the very least most of the oldest games had some speaker noise, even if only beep beep beep lol.

Ultima series did indeed and for those times, they were quite enjoyable since this was all a new experience for a lot of pc gamers. Was for me at least.