It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time for a good dose of thrill – The Backrooms 1998 - Found Footage Survival Horror Game is now available on GOG, and with a -10% launch discount! Hurry up, because the offer ends on March 24, 2 PM UTC!

The Backrooms 1998 - Found Footage Survival Horror Game will test you in all the ways possible. It’s a first-person found footage psychological survival horror game that tells the story of a young teen after accidentally falling into the depths of The Backroom in 1998. You’ll be able to freely roam around and explore, trying to unravel the truth – but mind, you won’t be alone; and don’t scream, or it might hear you. You’ll have to be careful of your footsteps, stepping on glass, knocking over objects, it all has consequences. Searching for supplies, tools and items may grant you escape, but remember; things you see in the shadows, might not be shadows.

Now on GOG – but only if you’re brave enough!

Note: This title is currently in development. See the FAQ to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.
Ah, so many memories, I'll never forget the '90s and the widescreen home video format so characteristic of that time :p

It looks interesting, though.
I dunno, the whole point of The Backrooms meme is how creepy empty fluorescent-lit office buildings are in and of themselves, and how much creepier to be stuck in one that never ends.

Cutting down the lighting and adding gross out elements like roach swarms or blood-dripping abattoirs kinda misses the point, IMO.
These features (quotes taken from gamepage accessed just now) sound especially awesome to me:

[i]Stamina System: You won't be able to outrun it. It will catch you as it never gets tired.

Mark-Your-Paths: Tools that can be used for path-marking such as a spray gun to help you to mark your path so you don't get lost.

Doors, crawl spaces and more: Roam around hallways, passages, crawl spaces and rooms. Be sure to close the doors behind you, or it can notice.

Changing Environment: The environment may change with your sanity in The Backrooms. That's why it's vital to mark your path.[/i]
MischiefMaker: I dunno, the whole point of The Backrooms meme is how creepy empty fluorescent-lit office buildings are in and of themselves, and how much creepier to be stuck in one that never ends.

Cutting down the lighting and adding gross out elements like roach swarms or blood-dripping abattoirs kinda misses the point, IMO.
The problem is that a completely empty place may work for a short video or story, but in a video game you have to include something to do and new threats if you don't want to bore the player to death.

I'm glad this game made it to GOG, it's one of the most promising ones born on this recent trend about the Backrooms.
MischiefMaker: I dunno, the whole point of The Backrooms meme is how creepy empty fluorescent-lit office buildings are in and of themselves, and how much creepier to be stuck in one that never ends.

Yep. The original idea is isolation from the real world and the feeling of loneliness in a world that felt unnatural and disquieting.
By adding monsters, it became just another typical labyrinthine world that's been overused for a decade. It was scary during Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It was scary when it was Cry of Fear, it was scary when it was Penumbra. but they're all old games that pioneered the labyrinthine horror genre. It might work for those games but The Backrooms is completely different horror altogether.

Social isolation is a thing. Fear of loneliness and fear or at least disquieting feeling of seeing manmade places that don't have people in it is a real thing. We're all social animal, even the introverts still want to have social interaction even if it only once a week. So surprisingly the majority of humanity have the same shared fear.
So "Backrooms" is the new horror meme to replace Slenderman I guess.

Alexim: The problem is that a completely empty place may work for a short video or story, but in a video game you have to include something to do and new threats if you don't want to bore the player to death.
I don't think it needs much to do, as long as the environment is well executed.

I found Anemoiapolis (the beta) super interesting despite -- or perhaps even thanks to -- being very very empty. https://q-andrew.itch.io/anemoiapolis

That said, the setting is definitely richer than the typical backrooms corridor maze, and I don't know if it scores very high on "horror" as such. It's beautiful, dreamlike, surreal, but it can feel a little unsettling too. After all, you are alone, you don't know what's out there, and there are dark places..

I fully agree. There are a lot of different Backrooms games out there and the interpretation of The Complex: Found Footage is much closer to the original idea of The Backrooms theme:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/the_complex_found_footage
They made a game based off the YouTube series? Erm sure...why not? Ha, ha!
pferreira1983: They made a game based off the YouTube series? Erm sure...why not? Ha, ha!
It was all started from one pic and a post from 4chan. People creativity drive is amazing.
If you think it's rare, it's not. Bobba Fett was prime example. From short appearance in early Star Wars to a full blown TV series.
RedRagan: It was all started from one pic and a post from 4chan. People creativity drive is amazing.
If you think it's rare, it's not. Bobba Fett was prime example. From short appearance in early Star Wars to a full blown TV series.
Yeah but Boba Fett was created by Star Wars, not by the Internet. Very strange.
Survival Horror... no guns... Something is not right there. Even the Silent Hill series has guns and is terryfing... so no, guns are not there to make you feel safe. How we've fallen with all these "hide and run" horror games (some are great, don't get me wrong, but I for once don't care if I can't defend myself).
RedRagan: It was all started from one pic and a post from 4chan. People creativity drive is amazing.
pferreira1983: Yeah but Boba Fett was created by Star Wars, not by the Internet. Very strange.
It was an example about how a small thing, seemingly unimportant element can become a big thing in entertainment media no matter what the source is.
RedRagan: It was an example about how a small thing, seemingly unimportant element can become a big thing in entertainment media no matter what the source is.
Okay I get that.