It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

joveian: Likely just wishful thinking but with the recent terms of service update I wonder if we could see some major website changes in the next month or so.
They have already changed things a bit in the last 24 hours, with the order of stuff appearing on their main page, so clearly some rethinking is going on.

I've read their email about the latest changes, though not yet followed the links to find out specifics.

I was presuming most of it was going to be about behavior and posting in the forum, but it may also include some reference to using 3rd party downloaders etc. I'm getting the impression they are going to be tightening a few things up, which may be a mixed bag of things for us customers ... both good and bad.

I still find it ironic, that Galaxy gets primary promotion and support, considering the stance on DRM-Free and game preservation. But I am guessing most of their profit now comes from gamers who are not really the loyal fan base.
Geralt_of_Rivia:
joveian: The length is available in the Galaxy API and I think it should be available as a header on the final request.
Sadly you cannot trust the API to give correct file size. I encountered this with lgogdownloader and even made a support ticket about the incorrect file size but it seems that GOG doesn't really care to provide correct info in API responses.

Example of incorrect file size returned by API from the support ticket I created:

$ lgogdownloader --download --game 'beneath_a_steel_sky' --include extras --verbosity 2 --report report.log &> /dev/null
$ grep filesize report.log
2023-Dec-13 15:20:14: bass_manual.zip: filesize_local: 125311, filesize_api: 1048576, filesize_content_length: 125311
2023-Dec-13 15:20:14: bass_security_manual.zip: filesize_local: 6256215, filesize_api: 6291456, filesize_content_length: 6256215
2023-Dec-13 15:20:14: bass_wallpapers.zip: filesize_local: 5331651, filesize_api: 5242880, filesize_content_length: 5331651
2023-Dec-13 15:20:14: bass_avatars.zip: filesize_local: 264808, filesize_api: 1048576, filesize_content_length: 264808
2023-Dec-13 15:20:14: bass_comic_book.zip: filesize_local: 12407867, filesize_api: 12582912, filesize_content_length: 12407867
GOG's APIs have always been a confusing mess. Galaxy API responses are at least somewhat consistent unlike the old downloader API where a json node's value could be integer, boolean, string or null value depending on which game's details you were trying to get.
Update from Discord:
we've found the issue, fix in progress
mrkgnao: I don't know if it's a new policy or a technical change, but every file of every game I have downloaded via gogrepo since yesterday --- whether because the game had been updated or had been just released --- didn't have MD5 data.
It looks like this has been partly resolved. Games updated today look fine, but they did not go back and fix games that had been updated in the past two days (e.g. gloomhaven, rail route demo).
Post edited January 17, 2024 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: It looks like this has been partly resolved. Games updated today look fine, but they did not go back and fix games that had been updated in the past two days (e.f. gloomhaven, rail route demo).
Yeah, I asked the Gog dev on Discord about this.
Btw new reply:

Update2: Fix seems to be working, offlines are being rebuilt. Now we'll need to track down all the games that didn't have their md5sums calculated, might take a while for this to fully be fixed
Post edited January 17, 2024 by phaolo
SargonAelther: Update from Discord:

we've found the issue, fix in progress
SargonAelther:
Phew, that is good news.

Just checked the Rail Route Demo, and it still needs to be fixed.
mrkgnao: It looks like this has been partly resolved. Games updated today look fine, but they did not go back and fix games that had been updated in the past two days (e.g. gloomhaven, rail route demo).
And now GOG has fixed the latter too. Thank you.
Timboli: Just checked the Rail Route Demo, and it still needs to be fixed.
Now fixed, but I needed to re-download because the MD5 did not match.

The latest copy of the file is same filename but slightly smaller in size, and does match the provided MD5.

Thanks GOG.
Post edited January 18, 2024 by Timboli
Sude: Sadly you cannot trust the API to give correct file size.
:(
phaolo: Update2: Fix seems to be working, offlines are being rebuilt. Now we'll need to track down all the games that didn't have their md5sums calculated, might take a while for this to fully be fixed
"take a while", what a joke.
GOG used to miss some md5sum files, and they never fix it.
Still noticing a significant amount of new / updated games with bad MD5 setups:

Just from 35 New/Updated Games:

Baldur's Gate III (language packs still lack MD5s as do the Big Extensionless Data Packs for Mac )
Cult of the Lamb (patches lack MD5s )
Dark Envoy (Windows installers lack MD5s)
Merchant of the Skies (Installers lack Md5s)
Monster Camp (Installers + various Character / Outfit packs lack Md5s)
Monster Roadtrip (linux installers + various packs lack MD5s)
Northgard (2 of the windows patches lack MD5s)
Peglin (Windows installers lack MD5s)
Shadow Empire (Windows Installer including Oceania expansion lack MD5 )
Songs of Conquest (Windows Installer + various patches + supporter pack lacks MD5)
Sovereign Syndicate (Windows installers lack MD5s)

That's 11 / 35
Hmmm, GOG seem to have significantly upped the download speed for Mac servers for my area at least (it's gone from ~15 GB/hour to ~40 GB/hour (the same as windows), Linux however is still about 15 GB/hour. So that's pure upside overall (Linux & Windows are the same and Mac is more than twice the speed).

The missing MD5 issue has been significantly reduced too, only some old cult of the Lamb patches are missing MD5s now (as well as the usual BG3 suspects, from the updates I did this week).
Kalanyr: The missing MD5 issue has been significantly reduced too
Good, since we've passed your info to the Gog's staff on Discord.

Btw can you check this post of mine about 2 minor issues? (bloated changelogs + title tags in the manifest)

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogrepopy_python_script_for_regularly_backing_up_your_purchased_gog_collection_for_full_offline_e/post3758
Post edited January 29, 2024 by phaolo
Kalanyr: [..]
phaolo: A little nictpick about gogrepoc's manifest:
game sections are a bit inconvenient to manually parse, because the various elements seem sorted alphabetically and so "title" is put at the end of the list, instead of at the beginning.
Wouldn't it be possible to move "title" to the start? Or rename the element to ".title" or something?

Also, I wish you skipped the games' changelogs or stored it separately, since it's just extra info that bloats the manifest.
I find the changelog useful sometimes but I see no reason not to make it optional. I'll put that on my to do.

*hmmm*, renaming title would involve a fair bit of code rewriting I think, but mirroring it ti _title or similar should be pretty trivial, I'll test that and let you know how it goes.
phaolo: A little nictpick about gogrepoc's manifest:
game sections are a bit inconvenient to manually parse, because the various elements seem sorted alphabetically and so "title" is put at the end of the list, instead of at the beginning.
Wouldn't it be possible to move "title" to the start? Or rename the element to ".title" or something?

Also, I wish you skipped the games' changelogs or stored it separately, since it's just extra info that bloats the manifest.
Kalanyr: I find the changelog useful sometimes but I see no reason not to make it optional. I'll put that on my to do.

*hmmm*, renaming title would involve a fair bit of code rewriting I think, but mirroring it ti _title or similar should be pretty trivial, I'll test that and let you know how it goes.
Cool, thanks :)
Maybe call it like "_title_copy", so devs who want to use the manifest themselves won't get confused.
And an optional changelog seems perfect.
Post edited January 29, 2024 by phaolo