It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

park_84: Just to be sure, the currently recommended fork is the one from Kalanyr, isn't it?
https://github.com/Kalanyr/gogrepoc
This would be the most up-to-date, bug-free, full-featured version of gogrepo, right?
Yes but switch to the dev branch for the latest stuff, master lags behind quite a bit usually.
mrkgnao:
lupineshadow:
Ok, thanks
Just as a headsup be cautious of large scale use of GOG Servers at the moment, they seem to be under pretty heavy load (not to the point where things are non-functional, but to the point where recoverable errors are much more common than they should be ).

I'm getting recoverrable errors on about 6% of my (new) game updates (none went to more than a single recovery step ) but if you have 1000 games there's a decent chance that one would actually fail all the way at that failure rate.
Kalanyr: Just as a headsup be cautious of large scale use of GOG Servers at the moment, they seem to be under pretty heavy load (not to the point where things are non-functional, but to the point where recoverable errors are much more common than they should be ).

I'm getting recoverrable errors on about 6% of my (new) game updates (none went to more than a single recovery step ) but if you have 1000 games there's a decent chance that one would actually fail all the way at that failure rate.
Thanks for info, I want to download all my games, lloks like I will wait few more days...
Kalanyr: Just as a headsup be cautious of large scale use of GOG Servers at the moment, they seem to be under pretty heavy load (not to the point where things are non-functional, but to the point where recoverable errors are much more common than they should be ).

pigulici: Thanks for info, I want to download all my games, lloks like I will wait few more days...
I wouldn't wait. It's been like that for a while now (at least a couple of months, probably closer to five).

It's not that bad, given how well gogrepoc handles the failures. At worst, it would probably just mean that you'll need to rerun download once more (to partially redownload a handful of files), or perhaps to rerun a manual update (for a game or two) once more.

It would probably add no more than a few minutes to your entire procedure.
Post edited February 22, 2024 by mrkgnao
pigulici: Thanks for info, I want to download all my games, lloks like I will wait few more days...
mrkgnao: I wouldn't wait. It's been like that for a while now (at least a couple of months, probably closer to five).

It's not that bad, given how well gogrepoc handles the failures. At worst, it would probably just mean that you'll need to rerun download once more (to partially redownload a handful of files), or perhaps to rerun a manual update (for a game or two) once more.

not sure I understand, this mean that if I download agian, nad he find the files already downloaded, he will not do it again?
mrkgnao: I wouldn't wait. It's been like that for a while now (at least a couple of months, probably closer to five).

pigulici: not sure I understand, this mean that if I download agian, nad he find the files already downloaded, he will not do it again?
Yes. Gogrepoc is quite sophisticated. If the file is already downloaded, it will not download it again, and if the file is partially downloaded (i.e. the download had been interrupted in the middle due to some failure), it will download only what's missing to complete the file.
The errors I was referring to where during update ( specifically fetching the top level game data after the shelf page ) which could be far more problematic though still recoverable if caught in time ( if you're a little careless it could result in you trashing files that are still good because they got orphaned because the game was blanked ).
Kalanyr: The errors I was referring to where during update ( specifically fetching the top level game data after the shelf page ) which could be far more problematic though still recoverable if caught in time ( if you're a little careless it could result in you trashing files that are still good because they got orphaned because the game was blanked ).
Oh. I misunderstood. I haven't seen these, despite using gogrepoc almost every weekday.
Kalanyr: The errors I was referring to where during update ( specifically fetching the top level game data after the shelf page ) which could be far more problematic though still recoverable if caught in time ( if you're a little careless it could result in you trashing files that are still good because they got orphaned because the game was blanked ).
Is this the relevant part in the script:

# HTTP request settings
HTTP_FETCH_DELAY = 1 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_DELAY = 5 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_COUNT = 3
HTTP_TIMEOUT = 30

So if you increase the number of retries and maybe increase the retry delay, would that make it less probable that there will be "blanks", ie. games that were omitted? Something like this (I guess fetch delay probably isn't directly related to this, but whatever):

# HTTP request settings
HTTP_FETCH_DELAY = 5 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_DELAY = 30 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_COUNT = 20
HTTP_TIMEOUT = 30
mrkgnao: Oh. I misunderstood. I haven't seen these, despite using gogrepoc almost every weekday.
I was frankly going to just ask about this, ie. is the "GOG servers are under lots of pressure" related to GOG homepages and servers where gogrepo apparently fetches the game info (during gogrepoc update), or the CDN servers from where you actually download the actual games?

I guess it is the former then, and I assumed it is. So if one is going to perform a full "gogrepoc update" refresh and not just get the flagged (new/updated) games, then try to perform it in some more peaceful time or day? Then again I have no idea what that would be as GOG homepages are accessed from so many different timezones, so is the worst time to run "gogrepoc update" when Europeans are hammering the pages, or when the Americans are hammering them, or when the Chinese are hammering them?

It would actually be interesting to see what are the actual "peak hours" for GOG, all over the world. And then one could try to avoid those when e.g. running full gogrepoc update. Or will each main area have their own servers anyway, so just pick 2AM - 6AM your local time for the update?

EDIT: Oh, and why are you using gogrepoc "almost every weekday"? Just asking as I tend to do a full refresh to my local GOG repository like once a month, sometimes much more rarely. Now I will probably do it again as I've recently bought quite many important games that I want to add to the local repository.
Post edited February 24, 2024 by timppu
timppu: EDIT: Oh, and why are you using gogrepoc "almost every weekday"? Just asking as I tend to do a full refresh to my local GOG repository like once a month, sometimes much more rarely. Now I will probably do it again as I've recently bought quite many important games that I want to add to the local repository.
Because I get update flags almost every weekday.

I do a flag-only update almost every weekday and a full update about once a month.
mrkgnao: Because I get update flags almost every weekday.
I don't mind if I miss even several updates on big games like Cyberpunk, if I am not going to (re)install it with them anyway during that time.

At this point I don't feel I need to keep a 100% parity to the GOG server versions. It is fine it gets refreshed... sometimes. If I was fearing GOG to close its doors permanently, then I would probably do a refresh more often.
mrkgnao: Because I get update flags almost every weekday.
timppu: I don't mind if I miss even several updates on big games like Cyberpunk, if I am not going to (re)install it with them anyway during that time.

At this point I don't feel I need to keep a 100% parity to the GOG server versions. It is fine it gets refreshed... sometimes. If I was fearing GOG to close its doors permanently, then I would probably do a refresh more often.
That's fine. To each his own.
timppu: Is this the relevant part in the script:

# HTTP request settings
HTTP_FETCH_DELAY = 1 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_DELAY = 5 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_COUNT = 3
HTTP_TIMEOUT = 30

So if you increase the number of retries and maybe increase the retry delay, would that make it less probable that there will be "blanks", ie. games that were omitted? Something like this (I guess fetch delay probably isn't directly related to this, but whatever):

# HTTP request settings
HTTP_FETCH_DELAY = 5 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_DELAY = 30 # in seconds
HTTP_RETRY_COUNT = 20
HTTP_TIMEOUT = 30
mrkgnao: Oh. I misunderstood. I haven't seen these, despite using gogrepoc almost every weekday.
timppu: I was frankly going to just ask about this, ie. is the "GOG servers are under lots of pressure" related to GOG homepages and servers where gogrepo apparently fetches the game info (during gogrepoc update), or the CDN servers from where you actually download the actual games?

I guess it is the former then, and I assumed it is. So if one is going to perform a full "gogrepoc update" refresh and not just get the flagged (new/updated) games, then try to perform it in some more peaceful time or day? Then again I have no idea what that would be as GOG homepages are accessed from so many different timezones, so is the worst time to run "gogrepoc update" when Europeans are hammering the pages, or when the Americans are hammering them, or when the Chinese are hammering them?

It would actually be interesting to see what are the actual "peak hours" for GOG, all over the world. And then one could try to avoid those when e.g. running full gogrepoc update. Or will each main area have their own servers anyway, so just pick 2AM - 6AM your local time for the update?

EDIT: Oh, and why are you using gogrepoc "almost every weekday"? Just asking as I tend to do a full refresh to my local GOG repository like once a month, sometimes much more rarely. Now I will probably do it again as I've recently bought quite many important games that I want to add to the local repository.
I probably wouldn't change the fetch delays it will dramatically increase the time it takes to do an update. The failure rate decrease is exponential so just changing retried to 4 would be safe for any practical library ( you'd need about 10000 games at that point to have a serious risk of a blank and I doubt anyway does ), I'd probably bump the retry delay to 6 or 7 too, just to make up for the extra hit.

I'm pretty confident at this point that GOG actually has regional servers so busy times and problems are likely subject to local variance outside of big sales and launches of big popular games like Cyberpunk and BG3.
@Kalanyr Would it be possible to add a parameter to increase the number of retries for the "request failed: 500 Server Error" error? Alternatively, maybe you can tell me if I can edit the script myself to increase the retry count to 10 or something.

The more games I buy, the more frequent the "infinite loading" issue becomes on the library page (gog.com/account), see screenshot.

This then also translates to these "request failed: 500 Server Error" errors and requires multiple retries.
Attachments: