It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Free time? Not on our watch.

Weekend is upon us and that can only mean one thing: more time to game until Monday is here! Then game some more.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So, have you been watching some neat crime show recently and want to feel like a true detective? Then make sure to investigate the Sherlock Holmes series.

Those constantly searching the stars for new discoveries should try the celebrated Star Trek™ games instead. Lots of things to stun you in there.

The Weekend Sale ends February 11th, 11 PM UTC.
Another Interplay sale? Wow, it’s like year one of GOG all over again!
I do want to play Kingpin eventually but I'll wait for it to go back down to 3.39 like in a recent sale.
joppo:
paladin181: How about don't have so many discount sales? Like others have said, if there's always a sale, then it's not a sale, it's just devaluation of the product.
That is why Gog rotates the catalog for sales in theory. In practice, some games are never on sale while others keep coming back on sale every other week. But the publishers allow them to do it. If they believe their game doesn't deserve a little rest to recover their perceived price who am I to tell otherwise?
Some publishers however behave more like you want: Arx Fatalis and Shovel Knight are two games that definitely don't let people think they should ever be sold for pennies.

paladin181: Sadly, most people won't buy unless there is at least a 50%-70% discount to start. It will kill small game devs who won't be able to support themselves by making decent games at decent prices. "Well, this $15 is nice, but I'll wait until it's $5!"

The occasional sale is great. Having a few (like 5-10 items at MOST) games in a weekly sale is cool. But these 15-20 games sales 2 times a week is driving the value of games as a whole down on this site.
As if the publishers didn't take that into account. In fact they trained us to act like that.

No matter how you look at it the publishers are the ones to blame. Not us, not the stores. They set the rules on how often and how deep Gog can discount their games.

Do you really think Telltale believed their games should cost $20 each (and more for later entries)? Or did they jack up the prices to be able to offer them regularly at "85% off"? IMHO they actually deserved a $10 price at most.

Indies learned to play this game as well. Lots of "meh" indies have a $15-20 base price. and then are sold 75% off instead of a $8 price and 50% off.
Post edited February 08, 2019 by joppo
I see what you did there GOG. It's an Interplay sale in disguise.
ciemnogrodzianin: Come on. The same games as month ago, but much more expensive this time... :/
joppo: It's in Gog's plans that these small sales must be unimpressive; otherwise the bigger sales wouldn't be impressive by comparison.
Yeah, you're probably right. However I miss Daily Deals with their higher then usual discounts. I just like to come back here to check new offers. With offers like these below it makes no sense in my case...

• $2.49 • -75% • Journey to the Center of the Earth
• $2.49 • -75% • Magrunner: Dark Pulse
• $2.49 • -75% • Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
• $2.49 • -75% • Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis - Remastered
• $2.49 • -75% • Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring
• $2.49 • -75% • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered
• $2.49 • -75% • X: Gold
• $2.99 • -50% • Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
• $2.99 • -50% • X2: The Threat
• $4.99 • -50% • Battle Chess Special Edition
• $4.99 • -50% • Castles 1+2
• $4.99 • -50% • Conquest of the New World
• $4.99 • -50% • Cyberia
• $4.99 • -50% • Cyberia 2: Resurrection
• $4.99 • -50% • Descent
• $4.99 • -50% • Descent 2
• $4.99 • -50% • Descent 3 + Mercenary
• $4.99 • -50% • Descent: Freespace Battle Pack
• $4.99 • -50% • Die By The Sword + Limb From Limb
• $4.99 • -50% • Dragon Wars
• $4.99 • -50% • Earthworm Jim 1+2: The Whole Can 'O Worms
• $4.99 • -50% • Earthworm Jim 3D
• $4.99 • -50% • Evolva
• $4.99 • -50% • Freespace 2
• $4.99 • -50% • Giants: Citizen Kabuto
• $4.99 • -50% • Ignition
• $4.99 • -50% • Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus
• $4.99 • -50% • Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business
• $4.99 • -50% • Kingdom: The Far Reaches
• $4.99 • -50% • Kingpin: Life of Crime
• $4.99 • -50% • Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
• $4.99 • -50% • Lost Eden
• $4.99 • -50% • M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
• $4.99 • -50% • MDK
• $4.99 • -50% • MDK 2
• $4.99 • -50% • Messiah
• $4.99 • -50% • Of Light and Darkness: The Prophecy
• $4.99 • -50% • Pray for Death
• $4.99 • -50% • Prehistorik 1+2
• $4.99 • -50% • Redneck Rampage Collection
• $4.99 • -50% • Sacrifice
• $4.99 • -50% • Screamer
• $4.99 • -50% • Screamer 2
• $4.99 • -50% • Shattered Steel
• $4.99 • -50% • Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
• $4.99 • -50% • Star Trek: Judgment Rites
• $4.99 • -50% • Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
• $4.99 • -50% • Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition
• $4.99 • -50% • Stonekeep
• $4.99 • -50% • Subwar 2050 Complete
• $4.99 • -75% • The Testament of Sherlock Holmes
• $4.99 • -50% • Titus The Fox: To Marrakech and Back
• $4.99 • -50% • Toonstruck
• $4.99 • -50% • VR Soccer '96
• $4.99 • -50% • X3: Reunion
• $6.79 • -66% • X Rebirth: Home of Light Complete Edition Upgrade
• $6.79 • -66% • X3: Terran War Pack
• $8.99 • -70% • X Rebirth
• $16.99 • -66% • X Rebirth: Home of Light Complete Edition
• $44.99 • -10% • X4: Foundations
• $71.99 • -10% • X4: Foundations Collector's Edition
joppo: It's in Gog's plans that these small sales must be unimpressive; otherwise the bigger sales wouldn't be impressive by comparison.
ciemnogrodzianin: Yeah, you're probably right. However I miss Daily Deals with their higher then usual discounts. I just like to come back here to check new offers. With offers like these below it makes no sense in my case...
[snip]
You and me both, mate. But we can't do much more than vote with our wallets. Eventually someone at Gog may realize that Daily Deals were a great way to keep us coming back and buying — and also they didn't tend to devalue the catalog as paladin181 objected to.
joppo: You and me both, mate. But we can't do much more than vote with our wallets. Eventually someone at Gog may realize that Daily Deals were a great way to keep us coming back and buying — and also they didn't tend to devalue the catalog as paladin181 objected to.
I guess that closing Daily Deals may be related to transaction costs. If you sell games for about $1 day by day it may be a problem and reduce profits.

On the other hand they've also dropped idea of Bundles, which often made me to buy much more games than I was really interested in just to get better discount or complete some series.

Sometimes I think they have no idea what are they doing, no specific strategy behind all these changing schemes.
ciemnogrodzianin: I guess that closing Daily Deals may be related to transaction costs. If you sell games for about $1 day by day it may be a problem and reduce profits.

On the other hand they've also dropped idea of Bundles, which often made me to buy much more games than I was really interested in just to get better discount or complete some series.

Sometimes I think they have no idea what are they doing, no specific strategy behind all these changing schemes.
I think it had more to do with the new page design that didn't have a plan in place for even Weekly Sale banners at the time.
The fact that Cyberia 1 and 2 were raised to $10 each is pretty nuts, I gotta admit. :P (but I guess the same could be said about a few other bad games Interplay released even earlier here)

But the Game Informer Super Replay of Cyberia is of course gold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tLmbzZa808&list=PL6CA20EDB748C44D1
Most of these games were less than 2$ during sales before the price increase
Unacceptable
Don't waste your money
I’ve never had a job that gives me weekends off lol. Well at least I have the time to spend money on GOG.
GOG.com: Free time? Not on our watch.
Even when there would be some free time don't waste it looking at the discounts in this sale. :P
BananaJane: Most of these games were less than 2$ during sales before the price increase
Unacceptable
Don't waste your money
Agree. Just for kicks I compared the price of the Earthworm Jim 1 + 2... almost two dollars difference compared to when I bought the game.
I do remember a time (wasn't a member here), when one of my friends told me, that there is a place, where you can buy many interesting classic games from Interplay, and they were 75 % off, when there was a sale.

And than, there were promos, where you could get even more for less, much heavier discount (like on this screenshot):
https://i.imgur.com/srHyvZt.jpg

Now all you get is 50 % off.
Post edited February 10, 2019 by orbus-petrus