It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

kai2: What are your favorite pre-2000 games?
Far too many to list, but off the top of my head many favourites for me from that era are stuff like : The 7th Guest, Age of Empires 1-2, Baldur's Gate, Broken Sword 1-2, Cannon Fodder, Commandos Behind Enemy Lines, Daggerfall, Day Of The Tentacle, Diablo, The Dig, Doom 1-2, Dune 1-2, Elite Plus, Eye of the Beholders, Frontier: Elite 2, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Half Life, Heretic, HeroQuest, Hexen, Indiana Jones FoA & TLC, Jagged Alliance 2, Leisure Suit Larrys, Lemmings 1-2, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island 1-2, Monster Truck Madness 1-2, Myst, The Neverhood, PlaneScape Torment, Quake 1-2, Riven, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Space Quests, Strife, System Shock 1-2, Thief 1, Unreal, Zorks, etc.
I was a Nintendo kid and my favourite games reflect that. :P

Pokemon (Blue/Red)
Battletoads
Kirby's Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Ice Climber

...to name a few. I was pretty lucky, beside my parents buying some games, I got most of my games from my older cousins, which gave me their collections once they switched to the PlayStation.

I wasn't allowed to play on the PC until we got one with Windows 98 on it. My favourite game on there was an Arkanoid clone. I'm relatively young compared to most on this forum I'd say and only played games of that era way later. :)
Post edited April 18, 2024 by NuffCatnip
It is odd to think there are people who were not even born before 2000!

I bet they don't even know there were games before 2000 as everyone was moving around with horse carts, TVs were black and white and ran on coal, etc.

It is like you watch pre-2000 movies and think to yourself: "Damn, people really lived like that back then?". Take for example Matrix.
Post edited April 18, 2024 by timppu
Chess
amok: Chess
It can be anything. Any game at all.
Post edited April 18, 2024 by idbeholdME
Why?
Blade Runner
Sanitarium
The Monkey Island trilogy
tritone: Thinking back to the games that were often installed and played for years, I would include:
Being a kid, i'd gotten a 1000 demos disc (some 'demos' were save files and models for like Flight simulator and not even a game); Yeah was probably a ripoff all things considered, mostly being files scraped from BBSes and thrown on a CD. I'm sure the same stuff can be found at Textfiles. But that's a reason i am struggling to find good examples, since i didn't own any whole games. Though i certainly tried whatever i could. 3D pac-man, some dungeon delving games, the usual demos of Warcraft, Doom, Blake, then some incredibly old DOS games like Alley Cat.

But knowing the games are there. I suppose what did i spend the most time on? If we include games we borrowed from the neighbor kid, that would likely be, Starcraft, Diablo, Warcraft 2, Soul Reaver, then Duke Nukem 3D (Multiplayer custom maps death matches), and lastly Xixit and Mechwarrior 2. And little else comes to mind. Though Non-PC we can include Genesis titles like Shadowrun, Phantasy Star 4, Ecco the Dolphin, and some NES and SNES titles.

All things considered after 2000 i'd say Diablo 2 and Morrowind were my big ones, up until really recently due to having no money to spend on anything other than survival.
Post edited April 18, 2024 by rtcvb32
csanjuro: Tyrian 2000
100% agree! My favorite vertical shmup!
Ufff... several games:
Doom 1 and 2
Quake
Half Life
Age of Empires 2
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
Counter Strike
Medal of Honor Allied Assault

But my favourite one, if I have to choose one, it must be DOOM (1993) the original that started it all.
Good question and interesting answers. Thanks!

Each of us deserve something dedicated in our life's. One of those things is your Retro Computer Unit !

My called G90 and contains video games of 71'-99' years. This is unplugged mini laptop nb200 on win XP with wall monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse.

System on it is optimized for games and games fit (sometimes with a little help) highest to medium details.

g90_screen
PC: Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Doom, Diablo, Myst

Console: Legend of Zelda, Phantasy Star I, II,III, Shining Force 1 and 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, Rings of Power, Crystalis, Landstalker.
The real question is what pre-2000 games do you dislike?

I enjoy with rpg's, point and click games, platforms, shooters and sims/tycoons.

I don't like flight games and racing games, although i loved Stunts (is similar to Trackmania).
Not going to list them all, but you can guess at least 3 from the combination of my user name, picture and title.
teceem: Why?
Why not?

I stopped gaming in the early 90's and didn't take it up again until the early 2000's.

Also, I prefer to hear the gaming interests of people I am familiar with (ie forum members) than solely random internet posters.