It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Drakensang

Loving this game, 26 hours in and still on chapter 3. This is a proper RPG

The game kept crashing when entering or leaving areas. so set the *.exe to winxp compatibility, not one problem in the last 12 hours of gameplay.

All the best
yoshino: My adventures in old western RPGs continues.
In this time, I'm playing **Bard's Tale 1** (DOS version).
ciemnogrodzianin: Nice plan. However I was warned that the game is several dozen of quite demanding and unforgiving gameplay. It's also one of the first cRPGs in quasi-3d environment. Is there any automapping there?
Here's the automap situation for some of the classic cRPGs:

Wizardry: No automaps until (IIRC) Wizardry 7, and a map kit is required (plus there is a skill that affects the detail on the automap). Some console ports have added automapping.

Bard's Tale 1: None in any classic version. The remaster is going to feature automapping, however.
Bard's Tale 2: At least one classic version (the Apple IIgs version, which is the one included in the game from last decade) has an automap feature. Note that the DOS version does not. (Can the automap be used in Death Snares? I know that pausing and saving are disallowed during those timed puzzles.)
Bard's Tale 3: All versions have automaps.

Might and Magic 1: No automap.
Might and Magic 2-5: Yes automap, provided that at least one of your characters has Cartography (Sorcerers start with it).

Ultima series: In Ultima 3-5, you can use a gem (or spell, but that's not a good idea in 4 or 5 because of cost) to get a map of the current dungeon level. Note that only dungeons are 1st person, and Ultima 6 and onward don't have 1st person dungeons at all.

Dungeon Master: None. Some versions of Chaos Strikes Back have automap spells, and Dungeon Master 2 has automap via magic maps.

Gold Box games have automapping, but I think it becomes unavilable in certain areas.

Eye of the Beholder series lacks automapping; however, Dungeon Hack *does* have automapping.
Thanks @dtgreene! I don't know what is a reason of your -6 reputation, but for this one post you should be pardoned, whatever your crime was ;)

I would note also that there is automapping (quite precise, with some nice features) in Lands of Lore series. I'm playing LoL1 now and it's enough to get a magic map from the library at the very beginning of the game. I suppose there must be a map also in the sequels.
Cavenagh: Drakensang

Loving this game, 26 hours in and still on chapter 3. This is a proper RPG

The game kept crashing when entering or leaving areas. so set the *.exe to winxp compatibility, not one problem in the last 12 hours of gameplay.

All the best
Which one; Drakensang: The Dark Eye or Drakensang: The River of Time?
TRoT is the sequel. Personally i find the first Drakensang the better one, despite that the magic doesn't work properly.
Problem with the river of time is that it ain't partybased or at least not much. Not like the first one.
Finished Drakensang: The Dark Eye myself few years ago with a thorwalian pirate. My party to which i travelled most of the game with it consisted of rhulana, gwendala and gladys. It's a good game, but the story is a bit weird and there are actually 2 stories.
ciemnogrodzianin: Thanks @dtgreene! I don't know what is a reason of your -6 reputation, but for this one post you should be pardoned, whatever your crime was ;)
The reputation system on this site has been badly broken for some time now; it is not possible to tell whether a user is trustworthy based solely on the user's Rep. In fact, I don't consider Rep to be a reliable indicator of anything at this point; it is *way* too easy to game, and such gaming has happened.

Personally, I would blame the transphobia of other users for my negative Rep. (I note that, in some cases, posts of mine (and some other users) that were non-controversial have been "low rated", the most recent being a topic about Rogue One.)

Also, I note that I am not the only one (or even the first one) who has complained about the Rep situation on this website.
Finished Tron 2.0 last week. It was fun for what it was, but the claim that some liken it to be a better sequel to Tron than Tron Legacy I find quite dubious. Great-A writing this is not. Okay, neither is Legacy but I find the latter's story more engaging overall.

I also sort of completed Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I kind of gave up with the last stupid checkpoint section, and watched that last short bit on youtube. Somehow I didn't remember the game being this aggravating. Seriously, the overall game design is just plain bad, as far as I'm concerned. People who haven't seen the movie will make little sense of the story as it skips so much from the movie and even what's there isn't explained very well. Then you have its relatively short running time padded with maze runs and shitty fisticuffs, which you can only avoid with a ridiculous amount of trial and error. Nope, I can't consider this a classic. It's just plain old. It can't hold a candle to Fate of Atlantis, which makes for a much better adventure game, by far.

Other than that I'm currently playing Fire Emblem Awakening on my (dusted off) 3DS. I restarted the campaign since it's been a good long time since I played it last. I'm not sure why I stopped playing, since I love that franchise - I wish there was a good copycat like it on PC - but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else new and shiny to play with. In any case, I'm definitely focusing more on playing through the games I have again of late than going wild on many new purchases.

I finally gave Stardew Valley a try for a day. Not bad, but I'm not sure it's exactly my kind of game. *shrug* I'll have to give it some more time after dealing with FE.
Finally beat Crusader: No Regret.
The last three levels were full of not-fun timed events that ended the game.
Worst timed event was in mission 8, endboss fight was decent, the dash through explodey trap land after the endboss fight was extremely frustrating(timed event).

Overall, No Regret was a fun playthrough. By the end of the game, I was using all my items, even the landmines that had previously been useless baggage.
I finally beat Bard's Tale 1.
I was grinding my guys with infamous Barserkers 99 * 4 by using MIBL spell, which is the only spell damage all monsters.
After they became level 24, finally I invade Mangar's Tower.
The final battle with Mangar was suprisingly easy...he was soon dead by MIBL spells. Guards of Vampire Lords were more tough opponents.
I enjoyed a lot of exploring(writing maps with pen and graph paper rocks) and developing my guys. I like this tactical combat too.
By the way, My bard only used the party AC lower song. Perhaps I should have use more songs.

For now, I'm playing The Elder Scrolls Arena (GOG version) for the first time.
I had finished Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. but I hadn't played older Elder Scrolls games, so I try it.
I'm as a breton battlemage, just finished the first dungeon and now exploring a town.
So far it's a kinda fun first person dungeon crawler.
Post edited January 12, 2017 by yoshino
yoshino: I finally beat Bard's Tale 1.
I was grinding my guys with infamous Barserkers 99 * 4 by using MIBL spell, which is the only spell damage all monsters.
After they became level 24, finally I invade Mangar's Tower.
The final battle with Mangar was suprisingly easy...he was soon dead by MIBL spells. Guards of Vampire Lords were more tough opponents.
I enjoyed a lot of exploring(writing maps with pen and graph paper rocks) and developing my guys. I like this tactical combat too.
By the way, My bard only used the party AC lower song. Perhaps I should have use more songs.
Incidentally, I found that the best strategy for the endgame of Bard's Tale 1 is the following:

Level up a paladin to a high level, then equip that character with a Luckshield, put that character at the front of the party, and then run from every battle. If you fail to run from a battle, you need to level up the paladin some more. (Other classes might work, but will need to be at a higher level.)

There is a song that is supposed to improve saving throws (which affects your chance of running away) and would be great for this purpose (and in general), but it doesn't work in the DOS version. (If you are playing a non-DOS version, it might be worth trying this song.)

By the way, I used this strategy in Final Fantasy 3 DS; if you level up everybody to level 56 (IIRC), you can reliably run from every normal encounter except the rare encounters with dragons, making the final compound dungeon *much* less painful (this is a very long compound dungeon in which the second part has lots of bosses and doesn't let you leave or save).

Edit: In BT1, the song that heals the party is actually very useful in the early game, when your other healing options are rather limited. Of course, it becomes unnecessary once you get the Restoration spell which heals the party fully for only 12 SP. (They raised the cost to 25 SP in BT3 and it's *still* one of my most used spells in that game; that's a sign that that spell was underpriced.)

Edit 2: If you happen to be playing the Apple 2gs version (which is the version contained in the last decade's BT game), try going to the Mad God's Temple and claim that the Mad God's name is "burger", and be ready for what is probably the hardest fight in the game. (This easter egg also appears in all versions of Bard's Tale 3, minus the fight.)
Post edited January 11, 2017 by dtgreene
Planescape: Torment > 11th try to finish

Gothic 2 Gold > lost count

The Saboteur > first time, what a decent game
Cadaver747: Planescape: Torment > 11th try to finish
I played I think 8 hours on that game and I got bored and stop, it's supposed to be a very good story and some people claim the greatest game ever but I'm not getting that impression. The NPC are very interesting, just the main story is revealing too slowly. I guess I haven't gotten far enough into the game, but it's hard for me to keep playing if I can't get interested in the first few hours.
underground 2
eksasol: ...some people claim the greatest game ever...
Whenever someone says that about any game I just have to roll my eyes. There are games I like more than others, but I've never come across one where I would exclaim "This is the be-all, end-all game for all eternity." Such a viewpoint is just very silly to me, especially since it is a very subjective statement.
Post edited January 11, 2017 by mistermumbles
Ughhh.... second run through Dragon Age II, after just about three years. I have a love/hate relationship with that game. Love most of the characters, love how they're ironing over the shitty story parts of part one, and I'm even a fan of the streamlined combat, but repetition rages high with a tongue burning hot dash of the insult when they're repeating dungeons over and over.

Ahhh well, should only be a few days now.

Until, well, GOG releases a few new games. :)
Cadaver747: Planescape: Torment > 11th try to finish
eksasol: I played I think 8 hours on that game and I got bored and stop, it's supposed to be a very good story and some people claim the greatest game ever but I'm not getting that impression. The NPC are very interesting, just the main story is revealing too slowly. I guess I haven't gotten far enough into the game, but it's hard for me to keep playing if I can't get interested in the first few hours.
I finished Planescape: Torment this year for the first time and I confirm it's still amazing cRPG; it absolutely deserves its place in Hall of Fame.

However it's also unique in its focus on story and characters. It demands some attention and an appropriate attitude, for sure. Oh, and it was an effort of about 50h to finish the story. I'm a bookworm, so I suppose that game may be considered a hybrid of book and game, it's just like a dream come true! Not for everyone, as I can see here ;)
Post edited January 11, 2017 by ciemnogrodzianin