It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The award-winning sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division returns in style! Better get ready – because The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition is now available on GOG, and with a -20% launch discount! The offer ends on March 21, 4 PM UTC.

The Outer Worlds is a first-person adventure where you’ll find yourself lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy. You’ll awake decades later, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. To get the ultimate experience though, get The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition and The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition Upgrade!

Now on GOG!
Tarhiel: I know enough about updates to not being stupid to pay 10 bucks for something, which should have been a patch. Period.
Have a look at pretty much every other studio and game which had any kind of RTX upgrade: CDPR (Witcher 3, CP 2077), Metro Exodus... I can´t think of one game, which tried to monetize this kind of update.
StingingVelvet: My point from the start has only been not to assume it's crap and "a patch" and to wait for the actual product to arrive before judging it. I'm just sitting down right not to check it out, I have no idea if it is good or bad and neither did anyone else before yesterday. That's what I'm talking about when I say internet negativity, people assume the worst and get angry with zero actual knowledge.
Indeed.
In my posts yesterday, I did not pre-judge the quality, or lack thereof, of the update.
My negativity towards it was on 2 counts.
First, that the level cap increase of it should have been a separate, free patch, available to all players of the original game.
Second, that it is a reprehensibly evil business practice to charge money for a mere graphics update, and wrap the useful update into that, in a way which will exclude gamers who can play the original version, but whose systems aren't powerful enough for the graphics update.
I was annoyed that I would not be able to even try this graphics update as the system build I did in November last year does not meet the minimum system requirements for the update.
Okay I played 2 hours and compared to the original a bit and here are down and dirty initial thoughts...

- The new global illumination looks nice but is super demanding. It doesn't change as much as you think it might to turn it off, and that boosts frames a ton. With it on low I can get to 60 but not sure if it's worth it or not yet. The lighting even without GI has been much improved already.... BUT...

- There's a difference between more realistic and "better," you know? This is something I frequently think about with ray tracing and similar tech like this GI. It is more realistic for the cockpit to be super dark, yes, but does it look BETTER? A designer chose how to make the cockpit look before, now a random algorithm did it with the goal of pure realism. Meh.

- Other improvements like denser grass and longer LOD distance look great. There's no argument otherwise.

- Whole game looks crisper, cause of textures and likely better TAA and it seems like they toned down the post-processing blur of the original. Faces definitely look better, and aren't as weirdly lit as the original (though again, that's how TOW is supposed to look so...).

- It seems like enemies damage you less on hard mode. I played back and forth with the remaster and original and they killed me waaaay faster in the original. Maybe a bug.

All in all it seems rather minor and probably not worth the $10, especially if you're not going to use the higher settings. Also I really think I kinda hate the lighting sometimes, but then other times it looks good. Frustrating.

JeniSkunk: In my posts yesterday, I did not pre-judge the quality, or lack thereof, of the update.
All good man, I thought after our replies that you were in the right.