It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To make a case for this group:
I for one only joined steamgifts to get into this club :) And while I've joined thousands of giveaways in the two years I've been on SG, I've had around 90% of my wins in this group!
That's why I've resorted to this resolution:

Whenever I give away "bundlecrap" that I think will most likely not get any/enough entries here, I make a higher level public GA.
Whenever I give away "better" Games (ie unbundled or higher Tier etc.) I make a GA in here (and yes I know it's been three month already since the last one, sorry :(

I really like that in here the chances of winning are very good and I'm always happy that someone a bit less anonymous gets my good games, maybe someone I've already talked to and if I don't get 5 entries so be it. (but that almost never happens with these kinda games anyway.)
With this I got to level 6 in only two years, so I'm quite happy with how things are. just my two cents....
mchack: To make a case for this group:
I for one only joined steamgifts to get into this club :) And while I've joined thousands of giveaways in the two years I've been on SG, I've had around 90% of my wins in this group!
That's why I've resorted to this resolution:

Whenever I give away "bundlecrap" that I think will most likely not get any/enough entries here, I make a higher level public GA.
Whenever I give away "better" Games (ie unbundled or higher Tier etc.) I make a GA in here (and yes I know it's been three month already since the last one, sorry :(

I really like that in here the chances of winning are very good and I'm always happy that someone a bit less anonymous gets my good games, maybe someone I've already talked to and if I don't get 5 entries so be it. (but that almost never happens with these kinda games anyway.)
With this I got to level 6 in only two years, so I'm quite happy with how things are. just my two cents....
This.

Further, when it comes to CV, the bundled items get you so little CV, that I don't really care if I get 5 entries on those anyways. I almost always give to the GOG group first, and then public if I don't get any entries.

[Edit] With regards to entering giveaways - For the most part, I enter every game that am interested in. I don't really like entering just to get someone to five entries - if I win, I either have to keep a game I don't want, or force the giver to go through the whole re-roll process.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by hummer010
This is an interesting discussion and all opinions are valid, and I respect them. Mine is, I don't mind having less than 5 entries in this group, as long as the participants want to play the game and the winner will do at some point. And since I know most people in this group, the better.

Since this is a small group, and bundle games always will get few entries because most of us already have them, being worried about their CV shouldn't be an issue, 'cause either way, it will get almost zero value returned anyway if done public, because of how the SteamGifts's CV System works. Non-bundle games is a little different matter, but we get more than 5 entries all the time for those.

I know CV is important for some, but we should remember that this group is for "giving back", especially if you have won something from it.

But, giveaways creators shouldn't be feel forced to do something they don't want. They may like to null their giveaways, it's their right after all, but from the point of view of the participants of those giveaways, it's kind of a dick move because obviously they won't like it. So giveaway creators should consider all aspects before nulling their giveaways. If they have zero entries, the better and completely understandable. Less negative impact that way.
Azrael360: This is an interesting discussion and all opinions are valid, and I respect them. Mine is, I don't mind having less than 5 entries in this group, as long as the participants want to play the game and the winner will do at some point. And since I know most people in this group, the better.

Since this is a small group, and bundle games always will get few entries because most of us already have them, being worried about their CV shouldn't be an issue, 'cause either way, it will get almost zero value returned anyway if done public, because of how the SteamGifts's CV System works. Non-bundle games is a little different matter, but we get more than 5 entries all the time for those.

I know CV is important for some, but we should remember that this group is for "giving back", especially if you have won something from it.

But, giveaways creators shouldn't be feel forced to do something they don't want. They may like to null their giveaways, it's their right after all, but from the point of view of the participants of those giveaways, it's kind of a dick move because obviously they won't like it. So giveaway creators should consider all aspects before nulling their giveaways. If they have zero entries, the better and completely understandable. Less negative impact that way.
Exactly my feelings, written better than I possibly could.
So I bought a few copies of T1 Humble bundle, in order to play WIndward with my fam...then I found out that buying it from humble bundle got me DRM free copy, so I only needed one... I have a few extra of that and the other game, Ziggurat which I think looks cool, and ...ummm...some other game (SteamWorld Heist) which also looks neat.
Bottom line, I want to give away a few copies of them here for GOGers and maybe more on SG public to get a little CV...checking wishlists, etc and if there are entries, I will do another.

https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ZVIf0/windward
Post edited May 30, 2017 by iphgix
Just checking to see if I could get added to the new group(Gamerager is my steam name, same as here). I was a member of the old group and never updated. TIA.
I was wondering if I could get an invite to the group, as I seem to have forgotten to upgrade to the new group during my long hiatus from the net.

My steam profile is here: Gamerager under the name Gamerager
Post edited May 30, 2017 by GameRager
Yep, pulling a giveaway that has entries is just rude. Rule or not, we're more or less all gentle(wo)men here so...
BranjoHello: Yep, pulling a giveaway that has entries is just rude. Rule or not, we're more or less all gentle(wo)men here so...
In fact, it is standard practice at Steamgifts, the site our group has decided to operate on.
GameRager: Just checking to see if I could get added to the new group(Gamerager is my steam name, same as here). I was a member of the old group and never updated. TIA.
I was wondering if I could get an invite to the group, as I seem to have forgotten to upgrade to the new group during my long hiatus from the net.

My steam profile is here: Gamerager under the name Gamerager
Sure, invite sent. Welcome back! ^_^

Don't forget to sync your account on SteamGifts so you can see and make the giveaways for this group.
Also, check the first page of this thread to see what's new in the group.

I'll leave your SG Profile here for future reference: https://www.steamgifts.com/user/Gamerager
Post edited May 31, 2017 by Azrael360
misteryo: In fact, it is standard practice at Steamgifts, the site our group has decided to operate on.
It might be accepted in some groups, but if it was standard practice across SG there would be a category for it under reasons for deleting a giveaway, instead of you having to lie and select 'created by accident'.

I wasn't going to answer your previous post because I want you to stay in the group and I don't want to argue with you or anybody else here, but as you're carrying this on I'll address a couple of the things you said:

Why should we all be kind enough to give away games hardly anybody wants if we're not nice enough to make sure giveaways get at least 5 entries?

You've got this all wrong. The reason people aren't entering your giveaways isn't because they're 'not being nice', it's quite the opposite. The rules in this group are really lax and it would be easy to grab a ton of stuff and still stay in, but we're trying to be nice by not entering for everything just because we can.

If you don't want to act like a SG group, then why be part of SG?

But we are acting like an SG group - we're acting like the very best SG groups, where people don't just take everything for the hell of it, but only enter for what they really want and intend to play. The group has been around for a long time and many of us have got to know each other, and we're not going to spam entries on everything because we'd feel greedy and impolite to our fellow members if we did.

Why not just sit here and offer each other stuff on the forum here?

That would be quite different from what we get from using SG, as you well know.

I never mentioned CV, by the way.

You didn't need to. When you pull your giveaways if they don't get exactly 5 or more entries, it's obvious that it's all about CV.

If my giveaway only gets a couple of entries, then I figure the group doesn't really want it

That doesn't even make sense. We're not a hive-mind. If a couple of people enter, then a couple of people want it and you can make those people happy by gving them a chance to win it.

I'm a member of a group with 195 members

Technically you are, but I'm only guessing at this point but I'd say maybe 50 of those are actually active, and that's a generous estimate.

If there's a problem, then perhaps that's where it lies - in the low number of active people that are in the group. If members feel that's the case then maybe it's time for a concerted recruitment effort in a separate thread to draw some new blood in?

I don't know for sure about that, but what I do know is that if there's a problem it definitely isn't because we're not being nice enough to each other or not acting like a proper SG group or any other garbage like that. This is a good group with good people in it, and in the long run you'll get more pleasure from making those people happy for 0 CV than you will in pulling your giveaways and gaining a measly few bucks of SG CV.
Asbeau: I read your post. Thank you.
I didn't mention CV, because it isn't about CV for me. It's about interest. And 5 members seems to me a decent and generous guage of interest. I'm not interested in giving away games to the group that the group doesn't want. And I arbitrarily guage interest at the 5 entrants mark.

I thought I picked two games that had a good chance of garnering some interest and some excitement. I was wrong. I remain uninterested in giving away games to the group that the group isn't interested in.

I'm not so much "carrying this on" as I am responding to people criticizing my choice. We have established it is not against the group rules. So, I don't feel like I should take a bunch of flak for making a choice which is within the rules of the group. As long as people keep arguing with me, I will keep answering.

Why should our group allow group members to label my choice as a "dick move" and call me "rude" when I am not breaking any rule of the group?

By the way, has no one noticed that I gave the Medieval Total War game to Phandom, because he wanted it? I did that when I pulled the giveaways.

I didn't throw a fit when I announced I would pull the giveaways if they didn't get some action. I have only been responding to criticisms of my choice.

If y'all would cut it out and live and let live, then we can move on.

Cheers!
Asbeau: You've got this all wrong. The reason people aren't entering your giveaways isn't because they're 'not being nice', it's quite the opposite. The rules in this group are really lax and it would be easy to grab a ton of stuff and still stay in, but we're trying to be nice by not entering for everything just because we can.
Unfortunately that attitude has the effect of discouraging members from making giveaways. Sometimes people react to pressure not to make giveaways by making safety nets to alleviate this pressure and make giveaways anyway (sort of like Le Chatelier's principle). Conversely, cracking down on safety net tactics makes members more nervous about making giveaways and, because they're nice people who don't like to take much without giving back, will tend to avoid entering others' giveaways too, exacerbating the fundamental problem of too little group activity and making the even group less and less active as time goes on.

misteryo gave away a game to someone who really wanted it. All those who spent some of their free, rapidly-regenerating points to enter had a chance of getting a game from him, and one of us did. I don't think any significant harm was done. You don't like it and you said as much - that's okay - but continuing to reprimand him after mentioning that you don't like it is actually harming the group by making it more hostile and less welcoming to contributors.

I know you mean well, but I really think it's better to live and let live with this one. People have different ideas about what is acceptable, and maybe you can even demonstrate that your idea is the objectively right one, but this isn't a discussion that's worth winning.
Okay, I think it's time to settle down the matter and let it rest before it escalates for the worst and someone gets hurt or later regrets what they said. What happened, happened, and it's in the past and everyone learned a thing or two about it. So here's a giveaway:

Night Mysteries: The Amphora Prisoner
https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/gbWUu/night-mysteries-the-amphora-prisoner

misteryo: Why should our group allow group members to label my choice as a "dick move" and call me "rude" when I am not breaking any rule of the group?
Just to clarify my earlier post: Sorry Misteryo, "dick move" wasn't probably the best selection of words I chose. English is not my first language, and those sounded less rude in my mind than probably really is. I meant that in general from the point of view of other members who enter giveaways that later are deleted because of "few entries", of course they won't like it because that shouldn't be an issue for a group like this one, the good chances of winning become zero, and everyone will think CV is involved because of that reason (few entries = less than 5 entries = no CV).

Anyway, sorry again.
Azrael360: Okay, I think it's time to settle down the matter and let it rest before it escalates for the worst and someone gets hurt or later regrets what they said. What happened, happened, and it's in the past and everyone learned a thing or two about it.

Anyway, sorry again.
Thanks, man. I forgive you. And no hard feelings for anyone.

Thanks for the giveaway!
Azrael360: Sure, invite sent. Welcome back! ^_^
Thank you, kindly.
Post edited June 01, 2017 by GameRager