It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
LootHunter: I think that what richlind33 tries to say is that morality is too nuanced to be legalised properly. Like if you want money and you kill a random person on the street to get it - that's definetely immoral. And it's easy to put it in the law - don't kill people just to get their property.

But when you shame someone for their way of life and that person commits suicide - that is very amgious situation. Was shaming viable? Did you know that a person would commit suicide? Those things are very hard to determine. Sometimes even you yourself don't exactly know if your action was motivated solely by pursuit of decency or there are some other emotions involved. That's why harshly shaming someone for minor transgressions is immoral, but you can't make a law that disallowes it.
richlind33: Morality is doing right because you value your dignity and have compassion for others, *irrespective* of legality.

Some people only comply with laws because they are afraid of being caught.
And some people only do moral things only because they are afraid of being shamed or long for approval and praise. Irrespective of legality.

That's why your statement that a person have high moral only by the own volition doesn't hold water. So I thought that it was irrelevant.
Post edited November 22, 2018 by LootHunter
richlind33: Morality is doing right because you value your dignity and have compassion for others, *irrespective* of legality.

Some people only comply with laws because they are afraid of being caught.
LootHunter: And some people only do moral things only because they are afraid of being shamed or long for approval and praise. Irrespective of legality.

That's why your statement that a person have high moral only by the own volition doesn't hold water. So I thought that it was irrelevant.
Your premise is false because if you are driven to do good by fear or shame, it is merely compliance. And fear and shame are poison to both heart and mind, and lead to all manner of disease, which is antithetical to moral well-being, or "high morality".

Also, morality/ethics does not require a person to be religious. That is my opinion, but it is one that is easy to defend. ;p
Post edited November 22, 2018 by richlind33
low rated
LootHunter: And some people only do moral things only because they are afraid of being shamed or long for approval and praise. Irrespective of legality.

richlind33: Your premise is false because if you are driven to do good by fear or shame, it is merely compliance. And fear and shame are poison to both heart and mind, and lead to all manner of disease, which is antithetical to moral well-being, or "high morality".
My only premise is that you can't distiguish people who do moral things because they thik that doing moral things is good from people that do moral things because of fear or for approval. If it is false - tell me, how can you sort ones from others?
richlind33: Your premise is false because if you are driven to do good by fear or shame, it is merely compliance. And fear and shame are poison to both heart and mind, and lead to all manner of disease, which is antithetical to moral well-being, or "high morality".
LootHunter: My only premise is that you can't distiguish people who do moral things because they thik that doing moral things is good from people that do moral things because of fear or for approval. If it is false - tell me, how can you sort ones from others?
It is rather easy, actually; you can tell by the results. People driven by fear and shame are running from themselves. You will never see them engaging in self-reflection. All they are capable of doing is what they think others expect of them, which means they are confused, and confusion begets confusion.

We can't give that which we don't have, hence the phrase "physician, heal thyself".
Tauto: Umm, that is a fallacy.
LootHunter: How it is a fallacy? I mean, you can of cause make any law, but the law that will punish people according to their assumed intent will more likely be abused than make people safer.
You answered your own question.... How it is a fallacy? I mean, you can of cause make any law,
Of course,people are abusing the law and misusing it to their advantage.It's not news as it's been going on since (correction..before) Moses wore sandals.
Post edited November 22, 2018 by Tauto
Telika: I keep a calculator at hand to double check all my analyses.

For instance :

According to the report, 82% of americans think that hate speech is a problem. Some people think that Linko's tweets are hate speech. Therefore 82% of americans think Linko is a nazi. It's mathematical.
LootHunter: No, it's not. It's not even logical.

If group A has a problem with something. And group B believes that someone is a part of a that problem. Obviously group B is a part of group A (otherwise B wouldsn't think that is a problem). But A doesn't consists only of B.
Yes. The whole point is, you are doing this when directly applying that the report's poll numbers to Linko's tweet.

And so does Kaboro. Both with the arbitrary idea that B=A.

You only notice it when you don't belong to B. Because what triggers your critical reading is the conclusion. If it's intuitive to you, if it supports your view, you stop there and re-use "as is". If it's counter-intuitive to you, if it clashes with your views, then an alarm bell rings, and you dig for what goes wrong (what goes genuinely wrong, or what "has" to go wrong one way or another).

So, the only way to point out a fallacy is to apply it to a statement you'd want to reject. So yeah, congratulations for spotting it where convenient. Good luck with the extra mile.
Post edited November 22, 2018 by Telika
LootHunter: No, it's not. It's not even logical.

If group A has a problem with something. And group B believes that someone is a part of a that problem. Obviously group B is a part of group A (otherwise B wouldsn't think that is a problem). But A doesn't consists only of B.
Telika: Yes. The whole point is, you are doing this when directly applying that the report's poll numbers to Linko's tweet.

And so does Kaboro. Both with the arbitrary idea that B=A.

You only notice it when you don't belong to B. Because what triggers your critical reading is the conclusion. If it's intuitive to you, if it supports your view, you stop there and re-use "as is". If it's counter-intuitive to you, if it clashes with your views, then an alarm bell rings, and you dig for what goes wrong (what goes genuinely wrong, or what "has" to go wrong one way or another).

So, the only way to point out a fallacy is to apply it to a statement you'd want to reject. So yeah, congratulations for spotting it where convenient. Good luck with the extra mile.
But are you any better when it comes to questioning the garbage spewed out by the telly or by youtube? No, not really. Your "brand" might be marginally better, but you can't honestly say that you're not a true believer.
low rated
richlind33: It is rather easy, actually; you can tell by the results. People driven by fear and shame are running from themselves. You will never see them engaging in self-reflection.
How didn't I thought about that?

So, did Linko90 engaged in self-reflection? Did folks from ResetEre? Did GOG higer-ups after they allowed ResetEra folk to harrass Linkko90?
low rated
Telika: The whole point is, you are doing this when directly applying that the report's poll numbers to Linko's tweet.
First of all, I didn't "directly apply" report's numbers. I just use them to make an estimate of how many people will be against Postal 2 and how many people will be ok with Postal 2 being advertised on tweeter. And if you have some survey that shows more than 7% of Americans will be against the game, be my guest - please show it.

Second. My intent was to rebuke statement that "advertizing Postal 2 on tweeter was pointless since that game had a very limited audience". Even if report numbers werent solid proof, I'm still waiting for you to prove your statement (well, richlind33 statement actually) in a more rigid way.
richlind33: It is rather easy, actually; you can tell by the results. People driven by fear and shame are running from themselves. You will never see them engaging in self-reflection.
LootHunter: How didn't I thought about that?

So, did Linko90 engaged in self-reflection? Did folks from ResetEre? Did GOG higer-ups after they allowed ResetEra folk to harrass Linkko90?
Because you'd already concluded that it was impossible because you equate morality with religion, and you don't like religion. Or am I mistaken?
Post edited November 22, 2018 by richlind33
Telika: The whole point is, you are doing this when directly applying that the report's poll numbers to Linko's tweet.
LootHunter: First of all, I didn't "directly apply" report's numbers. I just use them to make an estimate of how many people will be against Postal 2 and how many people will be ok with Postal 2 being advertised on tweeter. And if you have some survey that shows more than 7% of Americans will be against the game, be my guest - please show it.

Second. My intent was to rebuke statement that "advertizing Postal 2 on tweeter was pointless since that game had a very limited audience". Even if report numbers werent solid proof, I'm still waiting for you to prove your statement (well, richlind33 statement actually) in a more rigid way.
Do you think a majority of people on Twitter regularly visit gore sites like ogrish? lol
low rated
LootHunter: How didn't I thought about that?

richlind33: Because you'd already concluded that it was impossible because you equate morality with religion, and you don't like religion. Or am I mistaken?
Actually, I hoped you answer three questions below.
LootHunter: First of all, I didn't "directly apply" report's numbers. I just use them to make an estimate of how many people will be against Postal 2 and how many people will be ok with Postal 2 being advertised on tweeter. And if you have some survey that shows more than 7% of Americans will be against the game, be my guest - please show it.

richlind33: Do you think a majority of people on Twitter regularly visit gore sites like ogrish? lol
Do those sites have tweets, advertising itself?
richlind33: Because you'd already concluded that it was impossible because you equate morality with religion, and you don't like religion. Or am I mistaken?
LootHunter: Actually, I hoped you answer three questions below.
richlind33: Do you think a majority of people on Twitter regularly visit gore sites like ogrish? lol
LootHunter: Do those sites have tweets, advertising itself?
Don't know, but they have plenty of gratuitous violence and shocking imagery that's guaranteed to be 100% family-friendly. o.O
low rated
LootHunter: Actually, I hoped you answer three questions below.

Do those sites have tweets, advertising itself?
richlind33: Don't know, but they have plenty of gratuitous violence and shocking imagery that's guaranteed to be 100% family-friendly. o.O
So does My Little Pony fan-artist community. What's your ponit?
richlind33: Don't know, but they have plenty of gratuitous violence and shocking imagery that's guaranteed to be 100% family-friendly. o.O
LootHunter: So does My Little Pony fan-artist community. What's your ponit?
That people who think Postal is mainstream may have a point on top of their head? ;p