It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

With Kickstarter beta access on GOG.com!

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is becoming one of the biggest, most successful Kickstarter campaigns in history.

Straight from the under the watchful eye of Koji Igarashi, one of the godfathers of the genre, comes the newest exploration-focused, side scrolling platformer with RPG and crafting elements. In short, it's shaping up to be the biggest Metroidvania release in recent memory - already surpassing its original Kickstarter goal by sixfold. As of right now that is.

We're huge fans of IGA and Castlevania, so when we heard that Koji Igarashi was returning to the genre we knew we wanted to work with the team to play our part in getting this amazing spiritual successor out there, completely DRM-free, with our signature kind of customer love.

That's why we're excited to announce that we'll be supporting the upcoming release with DRM-free versions to all Kickstarter backers of the game pledging $28 or more!

Everyone who backs the project at the $60 tier (or higher) will receive not only a DRM-free digital copy of the game, but also exclusive backer-only content and access to the beta, all right here on GOG.com.

You can make your pledge over on Kickstarter, and stay tuned for future backer updates with more details on how to get started with your access to the beta.
Post edited May 02, 2019 by Ashleee
DCT: Son of a bitch, just checked my survey and they removed the GOG option for the retro spin off. GOG please get your heads out of your asses please.
I mean we don't know if it's GOG or the publisher, but given they themselves added a GOG option and then removed it it does rather sound like GOG went "Oh... oh no... we don't want that on our store...".

It's possible they'll change their minds if it's a curation issue. We got Opus Magnum after all...
high rated
I disagree. This doesn't sound like a GOG move at all. This sounds like an ill-guided piracy prevention measure, an exclusivity ploy of some kind, or a legal formality issue. Unfortunately, in all these cases, the developers are unlikely to explain the enigma.

This is just a little extra. There's literally no reason for GOG to reject it.

Valve always gets the best deal, sometimes without asking. Some publishers are attempting to push a game higher on the Steam charts (which increases sales exponentially) by actively drawing their customer base to Steam. Publishers and developers, especially Japanese ones, are falling over themselves to make sure "pirates" i.e. honest DRM free customers will not receive the full experience, or at least not day one. And there's also an untold number of additional parties who, for various reasons, have a say (as we've originally experienced in the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter). There are dozens of possible reasons for the spinoff not being on GOG, and quite possibly more than one applies.

The wishlist entry can at least help to communicate that interest in the spinoff is there. Apart from that, asking nicely, but persistently seems to be the course of action. Though of course receiving an honest answer from whatever party will undoubtedly strain an alreay fragile business relationship, so... don't get your hopes up.

+1 for the wishlist entry. And thanks for not just making assumptions about who's guilty here.
Post edited May 11, 2018 by Vainamoinen
Frozen: Sorry for the necro, but I received an e-mail from Fangamer:

We were recently informed that the Bloodstained Retro spin-off game will not be available on GOG. Please select a different platform (Steam, PS4, XB1, PS Vita, or Nintendo Switch) for your Retro spin-off game before the May 18th 2018 platform-selection deadline by clicking the "Access Your Backer Survey" button below, then clicking the "Change Your Survey Answers" link.

By default, your Retro spin-off game platform has been changed to Steam.

Keep in mind that this does not affect your choice of platform for the main game Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, which will still be available on GOG. We apologize for the trouble.
Frozen: So, it seems that GOG rejected the "retro spin-off" of Bloodstained (Kickstarter stretch goal).
GOG "curation" stays losing as usual. Ridiculous.
From the kickstarter comments page.

Bloodstained: ROTN - Roberto Piraino Collaborator less than a minute ago

Hey everybody, regarding the retro mini game not being on GOG, long story short it was the result of an unfortunate miscommunication between Inti Creates, ArtPlay and Fangamer stemming from when the original KS campaign happened. The retro game was never going to be on GOG.

It's an unfortunate miscommunication, but rest assured it won't affect anyone's ability to download or enjoy their copy of the retro mini game.

Also just a reminder that 505 Games isn't involved with "Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon". It's a separate project being developed and published entirely by Inti Creates and ArtPlay.
MegisED: From the kickstarter comments page.

Bloodstained: ROTN - Roberto Piraino Collaborator less than a minute ago

Hey everybody, regarding the retro mini game not being on GOG, long story short it was the result of an unfortunate miscommunication between Inti Creates, ArtPlay and Fangamer stemming from when the original KS campaign happened. The retro game was never going to be on GOG.

It's an unfortunate miscommunication, but rest assured it won't affect anyone's ability to download or enjoy their copy of the retro mini game.

Also just a reminder that 505 Games isn't involved with "Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon". It's a separate project being developed and published entirely by Inti Creates and ArtPlay.
MegisED:
And here I thought gog dropped the ball again, glad to be wrong. This info would have been something to include in the initial email. -_-
Time to go poke Inti Creates and ArtPlay en masse, I guess.
high rated
I sent an incredibly angry email about the lack of the Retro Spin-Off game being on GOG last night to Fangamer. They apparently are passing on the info to the parties in charge. I would recommend that everybody that backed do the same.

Send comments to:
orders@fangamer.com
Post edited May 12, 2018 by EnforcerSunWoo
Total bummer about the Retro Game for Bloodstained being confined to Steam. Just saw the trailer from Bit Summit and it looks great! IntiCreates makes some really solid platformers that I just don't mind buying multiple times. Oh well. If it's too good to be true, than that's because it probably is...
I swear it seems like Japanese game developers have trouble with Kickstarter and crowd funding in general, like they don't fully understand it. Really hope the main game doesn't end up like Mighty No. 9.
Lucian_Galca: Really hope the main game doesn't end up like Mighty No. 9.
Indeed. I was sorely disappointed with MN9.

Though the previews i saw of Bloodstained looked promising, and some of the updates a year or two ago looked good. I suppose it comes down to what you are promising to deliver vs your vision to deliver. MN9 we figured would be a Megaman reboot. Instead it was the 'next iteration' of whatever his vision/story was, when i think of MM i think of MM2 and MMX. (not to mention the fallout of his SJW PR choice).
Will the retro spin off be available DRM free from another source?
Is the base game even still coming to GOG?
ReynardFox: Is the base game even still coming to GOG?
As far as we know, yes.
rtcvb32: (not to mention the fallout of his SJW PR choice).
With "Mighty No.9", at least the toxic part of the Comcept forum community got what they deserved for the inexcusable treatment of their community manager (community management is not PR, by the way). Their shameful actions started immediately after she was announced on their blog, because of some fan art she drew pre-employment, during the Kickstarter, out of sheer enthusiasm for the platformer. This toxic community was building the wildest conspiracy theory that the part-time community manager would somehow influence game development, and might even manage to make the protagonist of the Mega Man ripoff a *super gasp* FEMALE. Look at the comments under the orginal announcement, retarded delinquents started this conspiracy crap mere minutes after the announcement. "Protest threads" were cluttering the already utterly toxic forums. The community manager was a strong personality and fought back, giving the wankers even more fodder for their freeze peach revolution that only ever was targeted harassment. When the community manager left, these horrifying abusers were celebrating it like their personal victory.

Now stop dropping your abject political bullshit into this thread, thanks.

Lucian_Galca: I swear it seems like Japanese game developers have trouble with Kickstarter and crowd funding in general, like they don't fully understand it. Really hope the main game doesn't end up like Mighty No. 9.
They have a different understanding of the goals, apparently. A Kickstarter that doesn't promise a DRM free version of the PC game only ever strengthens Valve's monopoly, but apparently customers accept that, and apparently Kickstarter devs repeatedly get away with "we haven't thought about that yet" when clearly what they mean is "we don't want to do it, but we want your money anyway".

There is one and only one weapon against that, and that is to not support such Kickstarters. In my opinion, the success of the ShenMue3 Kickstarter has encouraged developers to frankly give a shit about the Kickstarter spirit and try to push through with big names, backed by big companies.

The main game looks fine, BTW! No need to worry. I'm really looking forward to it.

regarding the retro mini game not being on GOG [...] an unfortunate miscommunication [...] the retro game was never going to be on GOG [...] an unfortunate miscommunication [...] It's a separate project being developed and published entirely by Inti Creates and ArtPlay.
That's hardly a satisfying statement. Apparently the third party that develops the game never even tried to reach an agreement with GOG. So that means that a Kickstarter-promised bonus will likely remain Steam-exclusive (unless the devs publish DRM-free elsewhere, which is unlikely). Which is exactly the kind of ploy that e.g. Koch Media used for Kingdom Come – draw customers to Steam with bonus content only available there.

And damn this works out incredibly well... :(

MegisED: And here I was, hoping I wouldn't have to install steam. If this doesn't change, I might as well set both to steam, as I do prefer to have everything in one place.
Post edited May 12, 2018 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: They have a different understanding of the goals, apparently. A Kickstarter that doesn't promise a DRM free version of the PC game only ever strengthens Valve's monopoly, but apparently customers accept that, and apparently Kickstarter devs repeatedly get away with "we haven't thought about that yet" when clearly what they mean is "we don't want to do it, but we want your money anyway".

The main game looks fine, BTW! No need to worry. I'm really looking forward to it.
I hope you're right. It just seems like there's been very few Kickstarters from Japan side that have gone smoothly compared to West side, and it's been over three years now since the game's Kickstarter launched. To be honest the announcement of this spin-off makes me think the main game will get delayed again to 2019 which would start setting off some "development hell" red flags for me. Really want this Igavania to turn out well.