It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mr.Mumbles: Nah! Besides all those, you know, cybernetic augmentations shown and people getting hacked. Not cyberpunk at all! No siree!
amok: while I do not disagree, there is more to it than implants and hacking, which just makes it sci-fi. To be lazy and copy-pasta wikipedia:

"Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of lowlife and high tech" featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order"
Although that is true, in my opinion Cyberpunk is also a visual aesthetic, a futuristic dark underworld, a city which stretches on endlessly without a tree in sight, that kinda thing.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by Crosmando
Look man, just buy games you want to play. Don't worry so much about the business-side of things. I do get where you are coming from and I am a big believer in 'vote with your wallet', but I think buying a video game you don't think you'll enjoy is just going to make you unhappy. After all, you'd be voting for a future of cyberpunk games if you buy cyberpunk 2077, and that wouldn't exactly be what you want.

You will inevitably support what you really want in the future if you just focus on buying the games you want. The only real decision that you should probably make carefully is WHERE you buy games from as you could end up accidentally supporting illegal activity or just bad consumer practices... But you are on GOG so you know all that already.

Enjoy life basically and just be informed enough to not support terrible people. For the most part though, only buy what you really want.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by Karterii1993
Cyberpunk is literally my favorite genre, largely because of Blade Runner and Deus Ex. Everyone's different though dude, like what you like. Never ever feel like you have to like something because others do. I couldn't care less about many of today's biggest games, and that's okay.
I'll buy it. Even if I still have to play Witcher 3 :-D
CDPR has to keep making great games, so I have something to look forward to!
kalirion: Nobody should ever feel obligated to buy games they're not interested in. If you really want to give CDPR money, feel free to gift the game to someone / do a giveaway/etc.

GHOSTMD: Besides that CP2077 will not be SCI FI, unfortunatly as i see it in my point of life now.
Cyberpunk is pretty much close to what we might have in the real world soon enough.
kalirion: Cyberpunk is very much sci-fi. Whether it's technology 2 years or 20 years or 200 years ahead of our current tech level, it is still sci-fi. The very theme of how changes in technology could affect society is the core of true sci-fi.
Cyberpunk has SCI FI aspects to it, yes specially when it comes down to the tech.
But science fiction as a genre is standalone, as cyberpunk is, science fiction doesn t
include the dystopian side of the cyberpunk genre.

There is ofc plenty of room for interpretation, i personally think it is kinda unfair torwards the
cyberpunk genre to classify it as sci fi, while it is in fact (as i said) standing complete on its own.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by GHOSTMD
Different media do different genres better.

I feel that cyberpunk is best done by literature. I'll probably get CP2077 to see how it goes... but I expect I won't enjoy it too much. I *LOVE* reading cyberpunk. I *HATE* watching it. With [high] Fantasy, I think RPGs/interactive games is the best. I'm not so fond movies or books in that genre. Harder scifi? I prefer watching, can play it OK as a game video game (but not tabletop game), and don't enjoy reading it at all.

Weird, eh?
kalirion: Nobody should ever feel obligated to buy games they're not interested in. If you really want to give CDPR money, feel free to gift the game to someone / do a giveaway/etc.

Cyberpunk is very much sci-fi. Whether it's technology 2 years or 20 years or 200 years ahead of our current tech level, it is still sci-fi. The very theme of how changes in technology could affect society is the core of true sci-fi.
GHOSTMD: Cyberpunk has SCI FI aspects to it, yes specially when it comes down to the tech.
But science fiction as a genre is standalone, as cyberpunk is, science fiction doesn t
include the dystopian side of the cyberpunk genre.

There is ofc plenty of room for interpretation, i personally think it is kinda unfair torwards the
cyberpunk genre to classify it as sci fi, while it is in fact (as i said) standing complete on its own.
Cyberpunk is simply a subgenre/subset of science-fiction in the same way that science-fiction is a subset of fiction.

Think of the gameplay genres for this game, for example. Does "Action" or "RPG" or even "Action RPG" describe it properly? No, but that's what subgeres are for.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by kalirion
GameRager: On Shadowrun: The game(even with the cyberpunk setting) is loads of fun.....multiple ways to play many areas/missions, the dialog skills options(leading to custom/unique dialog/outcomes for some dialog/events), etc. It's pretty fun and a good play option, even if you're not into the genre(imho).
rtcvb32: I have the Returns & Dragonfall, haven't gotten around to starting it. But they do look quite good. Some of the good games to actually successfully come from on Kickstarter.
Yeah, there's "IRL" stuff with fighting/sneaking/dialog(big advice: be careful what skills ex: hacking/dialog choice skills/etc) you pick on char. creation, as it can/will affect gameplay and what routes one can choose). There's also some cyber/hacking stuff which is fun,

StingingVelvet: Cyberpunk is literally my favorite genre, largely because of Blade Runner and Deus Ex. Everyone's different though dude, like what you like. Never ever feel like you have to like something because others do. I couldn't care less about many of today's biggest games, and that's okay.
It's one of my favorites too(Due to Deus Ex/Ssytem Shock 1&2/Neuromancer/B.A.S.S./etc, for starters). I also like point-click games in the vein of Sierra(Space/King's/etc quests) & others.
Post edited April 26, 2019 by GameRager
Why the downvotes for OP? Anyhow, this may be shocking to hear, but... A single sold copy more or less won't really affect CDPR. So, if you don't like the genre or other aspects of the game, then you don't have to buy it, but can still help out CDPR in much more effective ways. Tell your friends about the game, spread news about it on social media, share trailers, artwork etc. You could potentially convince dozens of people to buy a copy, and that will help its success much more than the single copy you would have bought for yourself.
CharlesGrey: Why the downvotes for OP?
I'm sure TinyE is somehow involved.