It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SIMULACRA is now available DRM-free. Get it 50% off until April 30th, 1pm UTC.

You found the lost phone of a woman named Anna. In it, you see a desperate cry for help in the form of a video message. The phone behaves strangely as you dive deeper into it. You talk to her friends and they have no idea where she is. Her texts, emails and photo gallery provides fragments of information. It's up to you to piece it together.

Recover lost files, piece back corrupted data, and retrace her final steps. Find her before it's too late.
Yes, but is the SIM in slot 1 or 2?
Crosmando: GOG Employee: "Hey why don't we release some of these hardcore dungeon crawler CRPGs that are on Steam that we previously rejected, that seems like our audience!"
GOG Boss: "NO IT'S TOO NICHE, RELEASE MORE DUMB TRASH FOR MILLENIALS!"
I would like to see evidence for this being a "dumb trash" and know to which audience should GOG cater, since millennials are dominant economic demographic...
low rated
Crosmando: GOG Employee: "Hey why don't we release some of these hardcore dungeon crawler CRPGs that are on Steam that we previously rejected, that seems like our audience!"
GOG Boss: "NO IT'S TOO NICHE, RELEASE MORE DUMB TRASH FOR MILLENIALS!"
Mafwek: I would like to see evidence for this being a "dumb trash" and know to which audience should GOG cater, since millennials are dominant economic demographic...
Millenials don't play games on PC, they play Fortnite on phones or consoles, GOG is chasing a demographic that probably has never even heard of GOG.
Post edited April 23, 2019 by Crosmando
rjbuffchix: Wouldn't a game like this still be considered "too niche"? I am in favor of curation and have actively argued in favor of it, through various topics. But I still have trouble understanding how a game like this is welcomed in, while games like Grimoire (90s dungeon-crawler RPG much more conducive to classic GOG user audience) do not make it. I did not think high review scores were the lynchpin or the point of the curation, it seemed to me more about what is a best fit for GOG's own audience.
In the specific case of Grimoire, I'd expect it's a mix of the middling reviews, a controversial/vocal developer, and (potentially) poor Steam sales. There would obviously be different factors for different games, such as developers not willing to support DRM or the game itself not easily adaptable to a non-Steam framework. As for the audience question, I think that ties in with your question below.

rjbuffchix: Also, does anyone think sometimes "fringe" games are accepted to measure the engagement of indie game fans/"new-GOG users"? In other words, right now the game release topics for niche games are mostly filled with older GOG users pointing out the apparent hypocrisy of a game like this being "too niche" to meet the little we know about the curation standards. But do you think eventually there will be enough indie fans to come into topics like this and shout the old users down, defending the game, et cetera? Food for thought. I think it is a way they are trying to gauge the gradual reshaping of their audience.
I think that makes sense. It explains how, for example, VNs on GOG started with basically Hatoful Boyfriend and maybe one or two other games and then expanded to include twenty or so titles. Apparently "found phone game" is a genre (as in, there are several other games with this conceit, not to mention Searching as a potential source of inspiration), and GOG already has several recent FMV games... so yeah, they're probably testing the waters with something that has already found an audience elsewhere.
high rated
Crosmando: Millenials don't play games on PC, they play Fortnite on phones or consoles, GOG is chasing a demographic that probably has never even heard of GOG.
"Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

I was born 31st July 1990, so according to this I am millennial, and I play games exclusively from my GOG library (with couple of titles I have on Steam and DVD-s), anything else? I still haven't seen evidence this is trash, unless it's your subjective opinion, in which case it's useless to me.
low rated
Crosmando: Millenials don't play games on PC, they play Fortnite on phones or consoles, GOG is chasing a demographic that probably has never even heard of GOG.
Mafwek: "Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

I was born 31st July 1990, so according to this I am millennial, and I play games exclusively from my GOG library (with couple of titles I have on Steam and DVD-s), anything else? I still haven't seen evidence this is trash, unless it's your subjective opinion, in which case it's useless to me.
Exceptions that prove the rule?
Mafwek: I would like to see evidence for this being a "dumb trash" and know to which audience should GOG cater, since millennials are dominant economic demographic...
How, exactly, are you defining "millennials"? Most definitions cover the early 1980s to the late 1990s (say, 1981-1996 as used by the Pew Research Center). So the oldest millenials are closer to forty than they are thirty.

Anna, for what it's worth, looks to be about 20-22, and the game is set in 2017. That would make her either a late millenial or early Gen Z, depending on your definition.
Mafwek: "Millennials, also known as Generation Y or Gen Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X and preceding Generation Z. Researchers and popular media typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Crosmando: Exceptions that prove the rule?
Frankly, I'd be surprised if you found fewer "exceptions" than those who "followed the rule". If we were talking about Gen Z, you might have a point. (30, millenial, PC gamer)
Post edited April 23, 2019 by Crisco1492
Wouldn't say this is dumb trash, definitely a cool concept.

Nice to see full GOG support.
Is this the really bad one, or the “well, it’s a marked improvement from the last one” one?
Where's SIMULACRA: Pipe Dreams ?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/878320/SIMULACRA_Pipe_Dreams/
Crisco1492: How, exactly, are you defining "millennials"?
By country, region.
You can go to, let's say, Burundi and see folks with ages from 19 to 35 and not find a single millennial. Same goes to Kyrgyzstan. Have you tried northern Bolivia?

A lot of people born before or in 83, 84 or 85 - who cares and yep myself included- are considered "millennials" (or whatever the hell this foolish notion means) and live a pretty normal life*, staying absolutely out of these vague stereotypes portrayed in several places such as... Family Guy? Heh.

Who cares, man? This fad of a conotation will soon go to fadland (in several countries it doesn't even exist, rest assured), where all trash goes, and will stay hand in hand with emos (remember those?) and other "scrotum creations" that sick portions of some societies love to spread.

*like working 9 to 5 / paying bills / being a dad and husband / getting older / saving some money / trying to get a new car but this time one with ac
Post edited April 23, 2019 by victorchopin
tinyE: FINALLY, a game with Bob Ross in it!

I've been on GOG for ten goddamn years about this! What took so long!?
Ha! Bob Ross in any sort of game is a novel idea indeed. (grins widely)
Game 'game' looks cool, cheap as chips price. Has great reviews.

I too understand some of the frustration with gog choosing what to release and what not to but lets keep this on topic about this specific game and not be so negative all the time, granted I've been fairly grumpy on here but this seems a fun little game.
victorchopin: A lot of people born before or on 83, 84 or 85
I would say we are part of Generation X.
Say what you want about GOG's many (many) questionable curation decisions in the past, but I don't see the problem with this one. Reviews are good and the price is great.

Now that I'm done defending you, GOG, give me Mushihimesama