It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The 7th Guest: 25th Anniversary Edition is now available DRM-free. Get it 15% off until April 9th, 5pm UTC. Owners of original 7th Guest are eligible for 66% discount until April 9th, 5 PM UTC, and 60% off afterwards.

The famous game remastered in a new 25th Anniversary Edition! The father and mother of all 'Haunted Mansion' games. Winner of multiple gaming awards and “No. 1 Rated Game of 1994”.

The 25th Anniversary Edition includes a lot of fixes and improvements, like new controls, option to quickly skip scenes and new map, improved voice acting and graphic upscaling.

Original The 7th Guest is included as free bonus, alongside soundtrack, a novel, the original script and other goodies.
TJF588: Hm, picked up the old version here a day before it was removed, for those extras. How do the extras in this release compare?
surfer1260: Here's a screenshot that shows all extras:
http://img18116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=248133314_ZZZZZZ_122_400lo.JPG

The manual is identical.

The script is a 153kb epub file that seems to have the same content as the old release.

The Stauf files are a 22-pages pdf.

The Deleted Scenes are 19 videos (mp4 with an average length of 7 sec) and 19 audio files (aac, english only).
So the extra extras are only:

The novel
The Stauf files
19 seven second clips
A blurry filter

I can get these, or two beers.

I've made up my mind. Thanks for the info.
I believe this was an opportunity to really go all out for such a tech marvel of a game in its day. Certainly deserved more than this "window dressing". I have no desire to buy this edition. The goodies are interesting.
MarkoH01: Well, I cannot see any problem regarding programming to give the user at least the option to chose between all available subtitles freely. We are basically talking about an overlay here. The only problem I could even see is that some special characters would need to be adressed in a special way but that should not be such a big issue either. Anyway - if the gamecard is correct that's not possible here and I still think it is a shame for a so called remastered game.
PraetorianWolfie: For one, it's the special characters issue that you've mentioned that is more serious in some languages than others (eg. shouldn't be a problem at all with swapping German with English, but it probably would be with eg. English and Russian). That's not always the case, but with old games it usually is.

Another issue is, in localizations use of the available in-game audio cues might differ. Eg a speech quote could be merged into one cue and another end-up unused/silent or it could be way shorter in one language than the other. So mixing up subtitles would end up with a case where you'd get a subtitle but no voice, a subtitle that will just blink too fast, or a merged voiced quote but half the subtitle.

A similar issue is the timing in the *videos* where displaying subtitles is determined by timestamps only (this can and usually is different than in-game (not part of a video) speech). English audio will have different timing than the German or the Russian. So mixing subtitles would mean subtitles that could play out of sync

These are some of the issues I've come up against since I've had some experience with localization and subtitles for games; and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few too. I'm not saying they can't be fixed, but they would require work that would probably not worth the overall effort.

What you can't really fix is the dialogue script changes that the localization teams make for the dialogue to work in their language better. Which ends up with cases where eg. one thing is said in English and a totally different thing is displayed in the German subtitles.
So many valid points. Thanks for the explanation and I rest my case and consider myself convinced that I was wrong :)
surfer1260: Here's a screenshot that shows all extras:
http://img18116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=248133314_ZZZZZZ_122_400lo.JPG

The manual is identical.

The script is a 153kb epub file that seems to have the same content as the old release.

The Stauf files are a 22-pages pdf.

The Deleted Scenes are 19 videos (mp4 with an average length of 7 sec) and 19 audio files (aac, english only).
Dalthnock: So the extra extras are only:

The novel
The Stauf files
19 seven second clips
A blurry filter

Enjoy the beer then ;)
Post edited April 03, 2019 by MarkoH01
but now you can no longer purchase the original by itself?
Dalthnock: So the extra extras are only:

The novel
The Stauf files
19 seven second clips
A blurry filter

MarkoH01: Enjoy the beer then ;)
It's not my picture, but it's a very accurate dramatic reenactement of what happened.
Attachments:
viranimus: but now you can no longer purchase the original by itself?
No, that's not possible anymore - but since the price for the new game (as far as I understood it) is now not really higher than the price GOG wanted for the original you could as well buy this one, download the original and forget that the remastered version even exists (maybe except for the extras which would be a nice although little bonus).
Mr.Mumbles: "Improved graphics" = Shit-smear filter... again

No, thank you. I've passed on the unnecessary crap mobile ports for both StSeses, and I shall pass on this.
Shit-smear filter is by far the best term I have heard for this. It lierally the perfect definition. I am going to blatantly steal this and include it in my vocabulary from now on.
Post edited April 03, 2019 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: I am going to blatantly steal this and include it in my vocabulary from now on.
You're welcome. ;)
high rated
viranimus: but now you can no longer purchase the original by itself?
MarkoH01: No, that's not possible anymore - but since the price for the new game (as far as I understood it) is now not really higher than the price GOG wanted for the original you could as well buy this one, download the original and forget that the remastered version even exists (maybe except for the extras which would be a nice although little bonus).
there is sort of a conundrum in that.

yes. you get the old game.

but you're also giving money to mojotouch. and above all else, mojotouch shouldn't be encouraged to keep doing this. [in the same way i wish beamdog would just let well alone.]

i am all for t7g being here.
i am all for remasters happening.
but when it's this low-effort, well...that says a lot - as i said originally - about how trilobyte view their intellectual property.

i would be all for supporting trilobyte - they made a heck of an interesting game, even if it is - by today's standards - just an artifact of a bygone era, but this is...problematic to me.

i would have more respect for mojotouch [and more respect for trilobyte] if:

they left the original up for purchase for people who just wanted that.
and they actually put in some actual WORK on the remaster [and didn't just slap a filter on it and dig up some old arcana.]
MarkoH01: No, that's not possible anymore - but since the price for the new game (as far as I understood it) is now not really higher than the price GOG wanted for the original you could as well buy this one, download the original and forget that the remastered version even exists (maybe except for the extras which would be a nice although little bonus).
lostwolfe: there is sort of a conundrum in that.

yes. you get the old game.

but you're also giving money to mojotouch. and above all else, mojotouch shouldn't be encouraged to keep doing this. [in the same way i wish beamdog would just let well alone.]

i am all for t7g being here.
i am all for remasters happening.
but when it's this low-effort, well...that says a lot - as i said originally - about how trilobyte view their intellectual property.

i would be all for supporting trilobyte - they made a heck of an interesting game, even if it is - by today's standards - just an artifact of a bygone era, but this is...problematic to me.

i would have more respect for mojotouch [and more respect for trilobyte] if:

they left the original up for purchase for people who just wanted that.
and they actually put in some actual WORK on the remaster [and didn't just slap a filter on it and dig up some old arcana.]
You might have valid points as well but please let me add that at least offering different voice overs and subtitles for the game is an improvement for many people that aren't fluid in English. Afair the original did not even have subtitles? I agree with the filter to be called improved graphics is a joke but not only offering subtitles but also offering new voice overs for different languages imo is at least a step in the right direction. Of course people who enjoy the game in English or even are native English speakers won't see it this way.
MarkoH01: You might have valid points as well but please let me add that at least offering different voice overs and subtitles for the game is an improvement for many people that aren't fluid in English. Afair the original did not even have subtitles? I agree with the filter to be called improved graphics is a joke but not only offering subtitles but also offering new voice overs for different languages imo is at least a step in the right direction. Of course people who enjoy the game in English or even are native English speakers won't see it this way.
this is good [and i agree with you, it's a step in the right direction.]

that stuff all counts as the "WORK" i was talking about in my post from above. that stuff is all to be lauded and they should have done more along those lines.
high rated
MarkoH01: You might have valid points as well but please let me add that at least offering different voice overs and subtitles for the game is an improvement for many people that aren't fluid in English. Afair the original did not even have subtitles? I agree with the filter to be called improved graphics is a joke but not only offering subtitles but also offering new voice overs for different languages imo is at least a step in the right direction. Of course people who enjoy the game in English or even are native English speakers won't see it this way.
lostwolfe: this is good [and i agree with you, it's a step in the right direction.]

that stuff all counts as the "WORK" i was talking about in my post from above. that stuff is all to be lauded and they should have done more along those lines.
Please forget what I said - completely. I just read the third review for the game here on GOG (it's written by a German) and apparently the different language implementation is also botched. When will people realize that it is quality people want to spend money for and not just some quick fixes and pseudo improvements?
everyone keeps talking about the smear filter for the remaster, what does that look like? anyone got a quick comparison link of before and after?

as a collector im interested in the extras, even the short clips etc.

edit:

nevermind, i found a decent vid of the comparison. it seems much faster the remake with higher definition once movement stops. I dont see much difference other than that. so for me its a plus. now the control changes ill have to look into and see if that gives more convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IxZIQroQfc
Post edited April 05, 2019 by mintee
regarding old stuff and win7

this article : is it fake or a joke ? its dated march 2019

Gigabyte - Latest Articles and Reviews on AnandTech
https://www.anandtech.com/tag/gigabyte

Mar 6, 2019 - Here are AnandTech's latest articles filed under Gigabyte. ... Intel Preps New H310 Chipset Revision With Windows 7 Support For Coffee Lake ... is prepping a new chipset and appropriate drivers to enable Coffee Lake processors to work.
gamesfreak64: this article : is it fake or a joke ? its dated march 2019

Gigabyte - Latest Articles and Reviews on AnandTech
https://www.anandtech.com/tag/gigabyte

Mar 6, 2019 - Here are AnandTech's latest articles filed under Gigabyte. ... Intel Preps New H310 Chipset Revision With Windows 7 Support For Coffee Lake ... is prepping a new chipset and appropriate drivers to enable Coffee Lake processors to work.
That's actually real. The first Coffee Lake chipset (Z370) was W7 compatible because it was actually based on Kaby Lake and made on 22nm. They then transitioned to 14nm for all the newer Cannon Lake based chipsets (H310, B360, H370, Z390, etc) which broke W7 compatibility, but due to the severe shortage of 14nm Intel CPU's, they're trying to ease the burden by making some of the budget Coffee Lake chipsets (H310 v2 and B365) back on the old 22nm (Kaby Lake based) which naturally makes them W7 compatible (like Z370) again.