It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The 7th Guest: 25th Anniversary Edition is now available DRM-free. Get it 15% off until April 9th, 5pm UTC. Owners of original 7th Guest are eligible for 66% discount until April 9th, 5 PM UTC, and 60% off afterwards.

The famous game remastered in a new 25th Anniversary Edition! The father and mother of all 'Haunted Mansion' games. Winner of multiple gaming awards and “No. 1 Rated Game of 1994”.

The 25th Anniversary Edition includes a lot of fixes and improvements, like new controls, option to quickly skip scenes and new map, improved voice acting and graphic upscaling.

Original The 7th Guest is included as free bonus, alongside soundtrack, a novel, the original script and other goodies.
I am just playing my retail version of the game right now (UK version without any German) and I am also watching a German Let's Play from the CD-i version (which appearentlay before the anniversary edition is the only one available in German), I stumbled over this scene in the library

https://youtu.be/jvn-F1Bk9B0?list=PL95H2F1W-IpNdTzyomccTM8iqw4rnN2IF&t=253

Which seems to be missing from my version. So if this in fact should be the case it would mean that there's a possibility that the anniversary as well as the cd-i version would contain new videos. Anybody out there who can explain or help?
MarkoH01: I am just playing my retail version of the game right now (UK version without any German) and I am also watching a German Let's Play from the CD-i version (which appearentlay before the anniversary edition is the only one available in German), I stumbled over this scene in the library

https://youtu.be/jvn-F1Bk9B0?list=PL95H2F1W-IpNdTzyomccTM8iqw4rnN2IF&t=253

Which seems to be missing from my version. So if this in fact should be the case it would mean that there's a possibility that the anniversary as well as the cd-i version would contain new videos. Anybody out there who can explain or help?
There are several "deleted scenes" from the game that are included with the anniversary release. Most, if not all, of these scenes are in the container files for all versions of the game. However, they were either not implemented or removed in certain versions. At least, if I remember correctly.

Upon looking at the video, I do remember seeing this in the original game though.
Post edited April 07, 2019 by ChrisDash83
Just found a gameplay video and I'll have to say while the music is much nicer than the adlib sound I am getting with my original release the new controls imo are far too distracting and don't really fit. Look for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvkB5Iu-ZY
Very interesting update for the game:

"Better-sized hotspots halos
Original Opening Credits (restored)
Voice audio cracks
Music not playing (or playing the wrong music) on some scenes
Martine Bath Scream (restored)
Double hotspots on Spiders Puzzle
Tips covered with other system windows
Microscope Puzzle completely not mandatory (can just continue to the Knives Puzzles)
Some Italian subtitles"

I watched a youtube video of the game before this update and I hated the way the mouse cursor looked. I liked it much better the way it was before. I am wondering if somebody could confirm if the mouse cursor now looks the same way again as it did in the original game? (In the anniversary edition you often could see an arrow which simply did not fit imo). Same goes for the opening credits which should now be restored .. is this the case? Also the possibility to skip the microscope puzzle (probably the most hated puzzle in the game) is a plus for me. Would like to hear opinions of those who played the game after this update.
There are two control modes in the Anniversary edition. For me the best one is "classic controls" which is closest to the original version. This scheme still had the distracting windows arrow cursor, which is gone now after the update (1.0.2). It is replaced by a new cursor reportedly designed by Rob Landeros, and even though it is a static cursor is a much better one.

The modern control scheme also has the arrow cursor replaced by the new one; it's just that I don't like that control scheme very much to be using it extensively.

The microscope puzzle is also reportedly optional but I was able to beat it after 3-4 tries so it wasn't that bad for me. I always remembered it as the most challenging puzzle in the game; even back in the day of the original game's release. Well, other than the crappy sentences you had to put together (I'm looking at you kitchen puzzle) which were very unfriendly to a non-native English speaker (probably to native ones too) and the various sliding-like puzzles which become boring really fast.

I haven't checked the opening credits yet. What exactly was there to be restored? Perhaps removing some post-processing filter?
Post edited April 10, 2019 by PraetorianWolfie
PraetorianWolfie: There are two control modes in the Anniversary edition. For me the best one is "classic controls" which is closest to the original version. This scheme still had the distracting windows arrow cursor, which is gone now after the update (1.0.2). It is replaced by a new cursor reportedly designed by Rob Landeros, and even though it is a static cursor is a much better one.

The modern control scheme also has the arrow cursor replaced by the new one; it's just that I don't like that control scheme very much to be using it extensively.
Thank you so much. Would it be possible for you to do a screenshot that shows the reinvented cursor?

PraetorianWolfie: The microscope puzzle is also reportedly optional but I was able to beat it after 3-4 tries so it wasn't that bad for me. I always remembered it as the most challenging puzzle in the game; even back in the day of the original game's release. Well, other than the crappy sentences you had to put together (I'm looking at you kitchen puzzle) which were very unfriendly to a non-native English speaker (probably to native ones too) and the various sliding-like puzzles which become boring really fast.
The Bishop puzzle was it that took me hours ... oh and was only able to solve the abc cube puzzle by trial and error.

PraetorianWolfie: I haven't checked the opening credits yet. What exactly was there to be restored? Perhaps removing some post-processing filter?
At the beginning of the game you hear thunder and some music before the book is opening. The anniversary edition starts almost immediately skipping the music as you can see in my posted video above.
MarkoH01: At the beginning of the game you hear thunder and some music before the book is opening. The anniversary edition starts almost immediately skipping the music as you can see in my posted video above.
I have compared the latest Anniversary update to the original dotemu release and can say that the intro's length in both versions is 43 sec now. The opening credits are displayed now even in the gog release. (The only difference is that the virgin games logo has been replaced with the mojotouch one.)

But the language bug (menu remains in german when game language changed to english) still didn't get fixed.

Here's the new cursor:
http://img28116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=941203139_zzzzzz_122_702lo.JPG

The smear filter (as you call it) seems to be zenju's xBRZ addon for DosBox + ScummmVM:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/
MarkoH01: At the beginning of the game you hear thunder and some music before the book is opening. The anniversary edition starts almost immediately skipping the music as you can see in my posted video above.
surfer1260: I have compared the latest Anniversary update to the original dotemu release and can say that the intro's length in both versions is 43 sec now. The opening credits are displayed now even in the gog release. (The only difference is that the virgin games logo has been replaced with the mojotouch one.)

But the language bug (menu remains in german when game language changed to english) still didn't get fixed.

Here's the new cursor:
http://img28116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=941203139_zzzzzz_122_702lo.JPG

The smear filter (as you call it) seems to be zenju's xBRZ addon for DosBox + ScummmVM:
Thank you. Oh boy, that filter really looks awful in the screenshot. It's not that much visible in the videos I saw. The cursor is all right but still not as good as the original when the skeleton hand was waving. So for me except for the extras the German language would be the only reason to buy the game again and given the fact that they did not ecen implement this well enough and consequent I guess I will pass for now. Maybe in a sale when the price is very low. I am just replaying my original version with ScummVM and did not experience major problems so far - so I am fine for now.
surfer1260: The smear filter (as you call it) seems to be zenju's xBRZ addon for DosBox + ScummmVM:
It is even called that way on the gamecard: "High-end graphics upscaling (xBRZ filter) for high-resolution displays"
Post edited April 11, 2019 by MarkoH01
GOG.com: The 7th Guest: 25th Anniversary Edition is now available DRM-free. Get it 15% off until April 9th, 5pm UTC. Owners of original 7th Guest are eligible for 66% discount until April 9th, 5 PM UTC, and 60% off afterwards.

The famous game remastered in a new 25th Anniversary Edition! The father and mother of all 'Haunted Mansion' games. Winner of multiple gaming awards and “No. 1 Rated Game of 1994”.

The 25th Anniversary Edition includes a lot of fixes and improvements, like new controls, option to quickly skip scenes and new map, improved voice acting and graphic upscaling.

Original The 7th Guest is included as free bonus, alongside soundtrack, a novel, the original script and other goodies.
I love that GOG has released The 7th Guest: 25th Anniversary Edition. This was one of the games my mom and I loved to play together. There is only one issue with this game that I had hoped would have been corrected when this game was remastered to work on today's computers. There is still no way to defeat the microscope game in this rereleased game. This is an issue we had with the original game, so it is in no way GOG's fault. I had just hoped that having it upgraded to work on windows 10 would have fixed this very annoying problem. I hate cheating by letting the game solve the puzzle for you, but playing against the computer makes the microscope puzzle unbeatable. Other than that, I love being able to play this again and my mom would have to, were she still here.
ChrisDash83: (I obviously am NOT a fan of this game franchise, nope, not at all :D )
Since you're obvious a cough * non-fan * cough do you know what could be done in remastering for The 11th Hour? I'm guessing the film for that is missing as well?
pferreira1983: Since you're obvious a cough * non-fan * cough do you know what could be done in remastering for The 11th Hour? I'm guessing the film for that is missing as well?
Not only is the original video/film MIA but, so is the original source code for the game. Creating an anniversary or special edition of The 11th Hour is especially difficult due to the missing original source code. It would need serious reverse engineering.

As I mentioned, it is fairly easy to get all of the content OUT of the games. However, getting content back IN to the games is difficult at best, and impossible at worst.

So, it may be possible to upscale everything in the games using Waifu2x-caffe or ESRGAN. But, doing that won't help us much because even if we DID get the content back INTO the games, it would then require re-coding all of the click/hot spots to fit the new dimensions. Essentially it would mean re-coding both games from scratch.

Keep in mind that most of the successful upscaling we've seen is with TEXTURES and BACKGROUNDS in games. With T7G and T11H there are no textures or backgrounds to export, only video frames, because everything was pre-rendered.

I'm still tempted to use The 11th Hour scenes/frames to create a custom ESRGAN model designed specifically to upscale FMV scenes with humans and video game backgrounds. The regular animations in the house without humans could probably be upscaled in ESRGAN's standard model with no major issues but, the FMV stuff is another beast.

I'll just note that I do not work for Trilobyte, LLC. I am on the team behind The 13th Doll: A Fan Game of the 7th Guest but, not in a programming, modelling, or coding capacity. I do occasionally talk with Rob Landeros at Trilobyte. I do have a deep passion for the story and history of Trilobyte and have been trying to track down the original footage from the games for years.
Post edited April 25, 2019 by ChrisDash83
ChrisDash83: Not only is the original video/film MIA but, so is the original source code for the game. Creating an anniversary or special edition of The 11th Hour is especially difficult due to the missing original source code. It would need serious reverse engineering.
Considering what we got with The 7th Guest remaster I doubt this publisher will go the extra step with the sequel. Quite sad.
Post edited April 28, 2019 by pferreira1983