It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just like good times.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com. Get it now to receive the Expert's Hat, the Mesmerizing Necklace, and an Owlcat Pet as pre-order bonuses.
The massive Pathfinder tabletop universe now finally summoned into the body of a team-based, isometric RPG in the vein of the unforgettable D&D classics of yore. Build your character from 14 distinct classes, interact with quirky NPCs and fascinating companions (crafted with contributions from none other than Chris Avellone) as you forge your destiny in the turbulent Stolen Lands. With great power, come great ruling opportunities, and the kind of king you'll become shall hinge on your alignment, leading skills, and allies.

Grab the Imperial, Royal, or Noble Edition for the juicy extras.
Breja: Finally!

Wait, this isn't that Pathfinder card game. Shit, I thought it's Pathfinder Adventures.

Damn. I mean, this look ok too, but not quite as unique, and it's expensive to boot. Maybe I'll grab it once there's a major discount.
Carradice: Did you notice the tabletop boardgame that appears at the beginning of the trailer? Is it real or rather a metaphor for the global map in this PC titlle?

Wondering if the card game (and thus the pc Adventures title) were derivative of another, older tabletop game, but never heard about anything like that.

Although probably they have considered making a pen and paper RPG off Pathfinder, in the vein of Warhammer. But wondering if they pay off nowadays (with digital-only editions, maybe).
Yes the tabletop RPG pathfinder game is real . The card game and any video games came after the tabletop RPG.
Look up Paizo if you are interested in learning more.
Carradice: About the isometric perspective, I wonder if it is really isometric or, rather, the camera will be able to move freely.
I don't really like free camera movement, as it creates a couple other issues:
* The camera might sometimes move on its own, causing things to suddenly change position (in a mouse driven game, this could result in a lot of misclicks)
* It might be rather difficult or impossible to get a good camera angle, and having to manage that increases the cognitive load on the player. I'd rather focus on the gameplay mechanics without having to deal with other annoyances like this.

(Another problem that's plagued many CRPGs from Baldur's Gate onwards; you can't control your characters directly (arrow keys move the camera instead of moving the selected character(s)), but instead have to rely on pathfinding, especially an issue when precise movement is needed to avoid things like traps.)
Carradice: Although probably they have considered making a pen and paper RPG off Pathfinder, in the vein of Warhammer. But wondering if they pay off nowadays (with digital-only editions, maybe).
Breja: Uhm... Pathfinder is a tabletop RPG. As far as I know everything else Pathfinder is a spin-off from that.
Damn, yes, you are right. The books appear in bookshops and look nice but... forgot about it. Never played it... Thanks!

Maybe, only maybe, there might be too many RPG titles for what the pen and paper RPG community is able to sustain? Not with the purchases, because the people who got initiated in them years ago now have cash, but maybe they are not actually played that much? I don't know, I do not see so many RPG events nowadays.
to GOG and the publisher,

It would be nice to have an upgrade path to higher tiers.
I am interested in the base game and happy to upgrade later, if I like it - but spending £75 upfront is quite a leap of faith, and if I can't upgrade later fromt the base game you will have lost £40...
Alnar: Wishlisted, but I'll wait for it to be out and on sale.

When will we have an isometric crpg that is not generic heroic-fantasy? For example, one set in a far west/wild west setting? Or a science-fiction one? Fantasy has been done and redone, please, we need something new. I'm so bored of fantasy.
GR00T: As noted, there's Seven. You could also check out Krater, Wasteland 2, Underrail, or Torment:Tides of Numenera (although it may strike you as fantasy more than sci-fi). These ones are more post-apocalyptic though. Maybe Desperados for a western flavour.
Age of Decadence is another good one with a non-traditional setting.

There's also:

Disco Elysium
zaumstudio.com/

Copper Dreams
copper-dreams.com/

Encased
darkcrystalgames.com/

The New World
irontowerstudio.com/new-world-features

on the horizon.

And the mentioned Underrail will also get its first expansion pack with "Expedition" some time in the hopefully not so far off future.

Edit:
Arcanum would fit in the "unusual setting" category too, of course.
Post edited July 20, 2018 by Swedrami
Bought the game as looks really good but price is quite a bit so only going for noble pack.
Breja: Uhm... Pathfinder is a tabletop RPG. As far as I know everything else Pathfinder is a spin-off from that.
Carradice: Damn, yes, you are right. The books appear in bookshops and look nice but... forgot about it. Never played it... Thanks!

Maybe, only maybe, there might be too many RPG titles for what the pen and paper RPG community is able to sustain? Not with the purchases, because the people who got initiated in them years ago now have cash, but maybe they are not actually played that much? I don't know, I do not see so many RPG events nowadays.
It's hard for me to say, since in Poland the tabletop RPG market is pretty much dead and has been for years. I'm not sure why. It never even got to the point where it could get oversaturated.

Anyway, I think it's not as much too many RPG titles, as much as too many editions of the same title. There's what, five editions of D&D? More than that I think. Three or four of Warhammer Fantasy. At least two Star Trek and three or four Star Wars...that's crazy. What do we need with five or six versions of D&D?
Carradice: About the isometric perspective, I wonder if it is really isometric or, rather, the camera will be able to move freely.
dtgreene: I don't really like free camera movement, as it creates a couple other issues:
* The camera might sometimes move on its own, causing things to suddenly change position (in a mouse driven game, this could result in a lot of misclicks)
* It might be rather difficult or impossible to get a good camera angle, and having to manage that increases the cognitive load on the player. I'd rather focus on the gameplay mechanics without having to deal with other annoyances like this.

(Another problem that's plagued many CRPGs from Baldur's Gate onwards; you can't control your characters directly (arrow keys move the camera instead of moving the selected character(s)), but instead have to rely on pathfinding, especially an issue when precise movement is needed to avoid things like traps.)
I would agree with you on cameras needing to be well implemented, and taken into account in the design of the game areas. Personally I like that they have a default position and only sometimes move it... However, in Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun the free camera was great and added a lot to the game, it was definitely a move forward from Commandos.

About pathfinding, in Baldur's Gate it could be improved by increasing the cipher for the search nodes in the configuration text file. Nowadays, with computers vastly more powerful, it ought not to be a problem... if it was not for quick development tools and lack of optimization in budget-tight titles.

Maybe arrow movement fits better titles in the vein of Wizardry, like Legend of Grimrock, or the more recent Starcrawlers (lovely, IMHO).
Breja: Finally!

Wait, this isn't that Pathfinder card game. Shit, I thought it's Pathfinder Adventures.

Damn. I mean, this look ok too, but not quite as unique, and it's expensive to boot. Maybe I'll grab it once there's a major discount.
Sadly Obsidian has said that they're never going to strip the anti-features to release on GOG, that announcing it for GOG was a misunderstanding.
Carradice: Damn, yes, you are right. The books appear in bookshops and look nice but... forgot about it. Never played it... Thanks!

Breja: It's hard for me to say, since in Poland the tabletop RPG market is pretty much dead and has been for years. I'm not sure why. It never even got to the point where it could get oversaturated.

Anyway, I think it's not as much too many RPG titles, as much as too many editions of the same title. There's what, five editions of D&D? More than that I think. Three or four of Warhammer Fantasy. At least two Star Trek and three or four Star Wars...that's crazy. What do we need with five or six versions of D&D?
Agreed 100% on too many editions... D&D 2.5 was great. Then we had 3 and some groups moved into it. But imagine you have the (2.5) box of Planescape, and a ton of other books... Same with Cthulhu, at first, improvement (like D&D 1 to 2 and 2.5), then... And the D20 system, the system to end all systems, ha!

About the situation in Poland, yes, a bit surprising, since fantastic literature is so much important in Poland, and it shows in bookshops, but yes, tabletop games are seen much more easily, AFAIK.

In Spain there is still some activity but much less than in the past... It was the collectible card games fad, but then other things as well. Easier access to consoles, to name one. In recent years, tabletop games have become a substitutive of sorts, with the advantages of requiring very little preparation and being more of the taste of a large part of the female potential players. But, ah, the stories that RPGs allow people to build... Just not the same!
Post edited July 20, 2018 by Carradice
dtgreene: * I don't really like the isometric perspective; I prefer a straight overhead view, which has a more clean look, and where it is generally easier to tell where everything is and what's going on
I really dislike the straight overhead view. Not as much as I hate FPP, but it's a close second. While I can cope with it, I prefer not to and I've passed on a couple games due to that perspective.
BeatriceElysia: Oh, I so wish to buy it now! I have enough money as of today, but I already backed this so having this title on both steam and gog is tempting, but I might, might pass this time.
You can go with a GOG key (or have you already chosen Steam?) Maybe it will show up on GOG Connect at some point, if you've already got the Steam key (but I don't think they're available until release).
Post edited July 20, 2018 by GR00T
I like the look of this game. Shame it has all the usual issues of many different versions, pre order only items and the strong hints that there will be an ever spiralling dlc set for it. Meh, maybe in 5 years.
dtgreene: * I don't really like the isometric perspective; I prefer a straight overhead view, which has a more clean look, and where it is generally easier to tell where everything is and what's going on
GR00T: I really dislike the straight overhead view. Not as much as I hate FPP, but it's a close second. While I can cope with it, I prefer not to and I've passed on a couple games due to that perspective.
BeatriceElysia: Oh, I so wish to buy it now! I have enough money as of today, but I already backed this so having this title on both steam and gog is tempting, but I might, might pass this time.
GR00T: You can go with a GOG key (or have you already chosen Steam?) Maybe it will show up on GOG Connect at some point, if you've already got the Steam key (but I don't think they're available until release).
No, I sometimes buy games on both platforms if I love bought games enough.
Chris Avellone >_< wow haha! Other then that just a nitpick but I dislike the different editions looks like there is at least three. Edit as I checked the prices....ouch expensive.
Post edited July 20, 2018 by David9855
Does Chris Avellone just contribute a few lines of dialogue or two to every RPG now, so they can say "written by Chris Avellone"?

Looks like another generic fantasy RPG. Already minimal interest from me. Worse yet one trying to be like the Infinity engine titles. If this is real time semi turn-based with pause then sorry, no buy.